Heater broken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grrriph

Aquarium Advice Regular
Think my heater is broken. I have it on the lowest possible setting and the water is at 86... Yikes. In the booklet it comes with it says having the control knob in the middle should be 78 degrees, give or take a notch. But mine is at the lowest setting and still always on. Any ideas?

What kind of heater is it? How long have you had it? Maybe you can return it, if you're still in the return period.

It's a top fin 200 and I've have it since march or April 2010

I'm gonna spend a little more money and get an aqueon 150. Sound good?

OasisKeeper said:
How many gallon tank? What is the lowest room temperature the tank will see? What is your target temperature (78?) ?

My room is usually around 72 degrees. And it's a 45 gallon tall tank.

Stuck on is a common failure mode. So yep, sounds busted.

+1

Good thing you found it before you had fish soup! :eek:

I know you were asking for heater recommendations. Ive had an Aqua Via Titanium heater since September. It has a remote thermostat that sits out of the tank so you can set it and adjust it without getting your hands wet.

The thermostat is spot on accurate. I love it so far.

My room is usually around 72 degrees. And it's a 45 gallon tall tank.

A 150 is plenty as long as 'usually' is really 'almost always'. You want it to hold the tank within a few degrees during the coldest cycle in the room. If the room is gonna be below 65 for 4 or more hours at a go, then a 150 might be stretching it.

Back
Top Bottom