Heavy rooters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I seem to have some fish that do appreciate light rooting plants. And since I have pool filter sand, it doesn't exactly "grab" the plants like I have heard ecocomplete does. That being said, my 3 swords, and my multiple crypts don't uproot...ever.

Can I get a list of other plants that seem to stay rooted pretty well? I have been steadily losing plants over the last 3 months (anacharis? gone. dwarf sag? gone.), so I am in need of a replenishment! Thanks!

Lots of stuff will develop a good root system. The trick to getting it to is to not move it around. Prune the top and leave the bottom. Most stem plants will develop numerous growth tips when you do so. Oh, and when you plant stems, plant 4" of stem horizontally to prevent fish uprooting it.

IME, it's easier to name the plants that don't root enough to stay planted. Java Ferns even though they will attach to furniture, hornwort, and riccia come to mind. Someone else will probably think of a few more.

Keep in mind that low trace and or PO4 (IIRC) make brittle stems.

I've seen a 12" sword completely cover the bottom of a 29 gallon with roots. Looked up from the bottom of a metal frame stand.

I have a similar problem, although it's due to having a clumsy 9" sailfin pleco who creates a whirlpool when he dashes across the tank, pulling up lightly rooted plants along his path.

That being said, I found that swords, crypts and bacopa will stay down pretty much on it's own. Anubias, being similar to java ferns in planting technique also work well. I have tried hoovercat's planting method for other plants which works well so long as they are not in the pathways of the onrushing pleco.

Back
Top Bottom