Heck's dirted tank rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, tonight after work I'm planning on changing over to a dirted tank in my 10g

Here is how it looks now
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440512786.271037.jpg

The floramax has started to run out of nutrients it seems though as plant growth has started to slow so I figure now is a good time to try the dirted method

Plans are for a almost complete rescape

Things I have on hand for this tank are

Aqua clear 20 filter

Three pieces lace rock

The buddah like statue (it has to stay unfortunately, this is technically the mrs tanks)

Plan on capping the dirt with some of the flora max that's in there now to save some money and I like how it looks

Fauna stock is going to be 1 betta 6 neons and maybe some ottos (yes I know that is probably a little over stocked)

Plants I have in there now are
1 sword
Some crypt wendtii
A lot of crypt undulata red

Plan is to use miracle grow organic potting soil

Plans are to have a layout similar to this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440514278.711410.jpg
I am not a artist obviously

Might get a piece of spider wood to come across from the right side as well, any feed back would be greatly appreciated as always

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Didn't get around to it last night but this morning I got her drained out dirt in and refilled, waiting for clearer waters to replant and put fish back in

Did want to share this though ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440598199.154573.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440598218.473394.jpg

These are two crypt wendtii I haven't touched really in about 5 months, I didn't realize they got this big and pretty with those bangin roots if you left them be and dont split them

Dang bro.... That is one ginormous crypt! Will be watching this thread.... What dirt will you use?( just early thoughts) , I too a, thinking of either dirtingnand rescaping my hideous ten, or try something different and go for multi she'll dwellers

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Still a little cloudy but here it is after everything is done

I planted blind because I wanted to get the fish in

Left
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440628201.119194.jpg

Right
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440628238.029181.jpg

FTS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440628258.859198.jpg

Definitely thinking a piece of spider wood with some sort of moss (Christmas if I can find some) on the left side jutting over the middle

And I want some sort of low plant I can carpet without co2 on the left side as well (any suggestions guys)

Let me know what you think so far

Dang bro.... That is one ginormous crypt! Will be watching this thread.... What dirt will you use?( just early thoughts) , I too a, thinking of either dirtingnand rescaping my hideous ten, or try something different and go for multi she'll dwellers

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Forget to tell you the dirt I used, I got some scotts hyponex from Walmart, it doesn't have any dangerous fertilizers in it and it's one of the soils Diana walsted recommends for her method of low tech tanks

It went in really easy and wasn't too messy

Make sure you do lots of water changes! And I will be dirting my 46g in the next couple of weeks! But it looks good I hope it works great for you!

Make sure you do lots of water changes! And I will be dirting my 46g in the next couple of weeks! But it looks good I hope it works great for you!

I read if you cap it good and fill it slow you don't have to do as many off the bat but I'll be watching it slowly

Yo you got florite and dirt?? You're tanks gonna be boomin!!!

Yes I believe there is some mixed into the dirt I used, not much though

You might get some rampant algae growth for a few weeks if you didn't mineralise the soil before hand. The water changes suggested will be to remove nitrogen from the water column that the soil may leech during the mineralisation phase.

Also look out for anaerobic spots that could cause problems. The substrate looks a little thick to me. You might have to poke it every once in a while to allow oxygen to the substrate.

Following :)

You might get some rampant algae growth for a few weeks if you didn't mineralise the soil before hand. The water changes suggested will be to remove nitrogen from the water column that the soil may leech during the mineralisation phase.

Also look out for anaerobic spots that could cause problems. The substrate looks a little thick to me. You might have to poke it every once in a while to allow oxygen to the substrate.

Following :)

Thanks, I have some mts and I have been poking it every few hours for now, do you think that is sufficient

Thanks, I have some mts and I have been poking it every few hours for now, do you think that is sufficient

I would have thought so. If you have met all the other criteria for good plant growth and your plants are still suffering then it could be hydrogen sulphide build up. You might get a foul smell also.

The reason I switched to the dirt is because the plant growth had slowed and I got tired of making tabs every month

We will see in a few weeks if the dirt really helps

Dustin from YouTube is the main reason I decided to try the dirted tank

The reason I switched to the dirt is because the plant growth had slowed and I got tired of making tabs every month

We will see in a few weeks if the dirt really helps

Dustin from YouTube is the main reason I decided to try the dirted tank

I agree man Dustin is a beast he has "convert to dirt"-Ed me. I have yet to dirt my tank but I will be moving in a few weeks so I'm planning on doing it then. In the mean time have you seen the guy from "cloud9aquariums" how to dirt a tank vids? They're great!

I agree man Dustin is a beast he has "convert to dirt"-Ed me. I have yet to dirt my tank but I will be moving in a few weeks so I'm planning on doing it then. In the mean time have you seen the guy from "cloud9aquariums" how to dirt a tank vids? They're great!

I like Dustin. I watched a few videos of his. Especially the dirt ones. What made me chuckle was in one video he was talking about something and he said 'I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again, water changes, water changes water changes'. Then the next video in the list was a 'no water changes tank' video. :D

No I haven't checked those out yet, I'll have to get on it

What do you guys think of dwarf chainsword for the left side of the tank around where I'm going to put the piece of spider wood?

Anyone have experience with that plant

Sorry, no experience with that plant. I had broadleaf chain sword and it got huge.

Sorry, no experience with that plant. I had broadleaf chain sword and it got huge.

I think I'm going to try it, just hope it doesn't require co2

The nitrates got up to 15 ppm today so I went ahead and did a water change

Also moved some of the undulata red to the back(probably need to move it to the 29 honestly

Little cloudy from water change but here she is 3 days after the dirt

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440900054.934430.jpg

Back
Top Bottom