Help a guy out here please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I havnt done much research on this at all, I keep getting sidetracked by the selection rather then the info.

I have a 26g bowfront

(newest ones at at the back.) Im keeping the trunk, I want some plants as tall as what I got however my front plants Id like to have more in a grassy patch or path would be neat,Id also like to keep the rocks as well, the fish love them.

I have to clean the sand today I will get more pics once its cleaned and settled.

Id like to go LIVE! with plants in this tank. The benefits are amazing as well as the beauty.
I have sand, and want to keep the sand, infact the sand is staying.

How can I plant them in there and will the roots grab?

What parameters do I need for the plants to flourish and keep the fish happy?

Would a 50/50 light help at all, I was going to order one tonight when I order the other stuff I need for the tank but would it be a waste of money?

I noticed my bettas fins becoming seperated and he loves being in the plants, alas mine are plasteak(fancy werd fer plastic) and that equals fail. What are good plants to look for that can be grown in sand, I can shift the sand and put a soil box.

what material can be used for the box?

what sealant?
(GE-1 from what ive read on here)

Fish compatibility?

What is the best method for blanching the plants from freeloaders?

Thank you.

I always grew tons of plants in sand substrate, it is okay for many varieties... Other plants may need root tabs or a richer substrate, but I always had c02 in the tanks as well, and I never had a problem with sand... I did pot some things like Crypts and Vals with a little top soil layer on the bottom of the pot and sand on top to keep the nutrients at the roots where they belonged.

And the correct spelling for the fancy word for plastic is "plastique", with a "q-u-e", lol... VERY European!

yeah its been breed out of me like 3 generations ago. however I was aiming for the euroteknik version heh.

Ok, what am I looking for then with plants and sand? like a stringy root system one or definitive roots?

I like the grasses alot and the taller plants like anacharis( yeah I know but that kind of plant not that plant itself) Id like to get things that will be hearty not take too much care, and survive in a non planted fw environment, meaning filter, heater and light thats about it.

My successful attempts in sand included Cambomba, Sunset Hygro, and stem plants like that, as well as E. Trianda as a carpet down low... BUT, I got frustrated with that because I had a Betta that would dig that up all the time, before the roots took off...

Stem plants grew so fast for me they never really grew roots before I would just cut the tops off and replant the stem in the sand...

I also remember my Swords doing pretty good in sand, but they needed root tabs (I used Flourish brand). And I would imagine you can always do the Java Fern and Mosses tied to rocks sitting on top of the sand... that always looks good too...

I seen some 4 leaf clovers, some swords and java ferns, I would like something thats fuller then then last two, same kind just thicker. I am trying to make alot of vision blocks as well as entice the kuhlis to become diurnal.

Back
Top Bottom