Help! Algae!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeast
Warm water
Sugar
Two 2 liter bottles
Airline tubing
A method of diffusion

You're missing an overflow bottle and stopper. It's crucial for making sure you don't accidently pump a bunch of sugar water, yeast, and alcohol into your tank.

edit: Also some yeast nutrient from a U-brew store would help the fermentation progress quicker and more stable.

Last edited:
I have the same problem some times. You are getting black beard Algae in the tank because there is to much nutrients in your water. This is from your flourish. You need to your fertilizer tablets. But you should try and rub the algae off you plant leaves because they can clog the pores that take in light making it hard for your plant to Perform photosynthesis. I run a planted tank too but I have a dirted tank. This means I dont have to use flourish feeding the algae. The only time I get algae is when I pull plants cause some off the dirt escapes. Look it up on YouTube if not familiar " dirt tank" or look up Dustin's fish tanks on there.

I'll put pics in a few mins hope I helped!!

ZHiTcH41 said:
I have the same problem some times. You are getting black beard Algae in the tank because there is to much nutrients in your water. This is from your flourish. You need to your fertilizer tablets. But you should try and rub the algae off you plant leaves because they can clog the pores that take in light making it hard for your plant to Perform photosynthesis. I run a planted tank too but I have a dirted tank. This means I dont have to use flourish feeding the algae. The only time I get algae is when I pull plants cause some off the dirt escapes. Look it up on YouTube if not familiar " dirt tank" or look up Dustin's fish tanks on there.

I'll put pics in a few mins hope I helped!!

Thanks man! Im not positive it is BBA, it isnt black, and it doesnt form tufts of algae. Either way, do you think i should diy co2?

Great looking tank man

That article was the first thing I ever read about DIY co2 and I just went ahead and did it and it worked well lol

Well black beard or not algae likes nutrient rich water. Be careful with the co2 might kill plants if not used correctly?

ZHiTcH41 said:
Well black beard or not algae likes nutrient rich water. Be careful with the co2 might kill plants if not used correctly?

And shrimp! Thats why im weary..oh well. I have to try!

Lunchbox209 said:
Here is the video on the DIY co2. I use it with no ill effect on my shrimp at all

Could you explain how you
Made it? I have a tough time grasping this subject haha

Gboy66 said:
Could you explain how you
Made it? I have a tough time grasping this subject haha

I followed what they guy did except for the bubble counter I bought a fluval one much easier and for the diffuser I bought the fluval one too but everything else I did just like the video

Ok. Cause sometimes people feed frozen cube food. And they just drop them in the tank, that puts a lot of phosphate in the water and algae loves that too!!

HELP!!!! IT IS SPREADING!!! please someone. Wow i am upset!! Should i start a blackout?? I am going tog et diy co2 supplies NOW!!

Gboy66 said:
HELP!!!! IT IS SPREADING!!! please someone. Wow i am upset!! Should i start a blackout?? I am going tog et diy co2 supplies NOW!!

Have you tried anything suggested yet?
IME to treat BBA excel works well to kill and keep it at bay.
IME to treat BGA keeping nitrate up higher (20ppm+), manually removing with a syphon and 2-3 day black outs works well.
I thought you where told the light was too strong for the tank and fertilizer plans when you set it up? Or maybe I just thought that and forgot to type it. :/

Mumma.of.two said:
Have you tried anything suggested yet?
IME to treat BBA excel works well to kill and keep it at bay.
IME to treat BGA keeping nitrate up higher (20ppm+), manually removing with a syphon and 2-3 day black outs works well.
I thought you where told the light was too strong for the tank and fertilizer plans when you set it up? Or maybe I just thought that and forgot to type it. :/

Hi mumma! How do i raise nitrate? No PWC's? I have been using ferts as planned, and judt picked up a light with a smaller wattage!

Blackouts ehh? Starting today? Im getting ready to try diy co2..should it wait?

Back
Top Bottom