Help! Before my tank is abducted by algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanTheGuppyMan said:
Yes i have been feeding only once a day so far and I pick up most of the excess food with my tongs. Anything else I should know to get the algae under control and out of here?

If you have to pick out any food at all you're probably feeding three times more food than the fish need. Honestly, if you feed that much anything else you do won't stop the algae. Only feed what the fish will eat in about 30 seconds. They should still be looking for food after it's all gone. It's better to feed twice a day vey lightly than once a day heavily.

You could also cut out any plant leaves that are covered with algae. I had to cut a lot out when my tank went through an algae bloom. >_<

Mostly it's just my anubias and Ludwigia...can you just cut the leaves right off the anubias? I was contemplating that but I thought it might be bad for the plant or something..

DanTheGuppyMan said:
Mostly it's just my anubias and Ludwigia...can you just cut the leaves right off the anubias? I was contemplating that but I thought it might be bad for the plant or something..

You sure can. They grow back fast and much healthier. I wouldn't cut them all at once though.

The angels spawn alot but being in a community tank there are no fry, which is the way I want it. If I wanted to breed they wouldn't be in a community tank.

@CorallineAlgae: Thanks! I'll start tomorrow morning with my trimming. Any other things I should do/know to help get all this under control?
@Rivercats: Oh I see. I was just wondering what you do for that.
To everyone: I also have some green hair algae growing on the back wall of my tank, as well as on the front wall I have some dark green spots all over it like little pen points that are really hard to scrub off! Do yall know what those are?

Depending what type algae is on the anubia just spot treat it with Excel. Pull up a daily dose of Excel in a needless syringe, place almost against the effective leaves and slowly squirt them. You'll have to dose daily moving from area to area until you treat all the effected leaves. If it's diatoms just wipe them off and wait them out. Ludwigia can be trimmed down and replanted.

As for feeding I feed about 1/4 teaspoon to my 220g 1x day. The angels will also forage on hair algae if not overfed.

Most likely what your calling green hair algae is green brush algae on the back of the tank. High light left on too long and excess nutrients tends to cause black and green brush algae.

Ohh thanks, that sounds safer than H2O2. I just get about 2 large flakes and crumble them up and stick my finger in the water to get their attention and they swim up and bob at the flakes as I drop them in...so cute :)

I don't breed, been there done that, and babies won't live long in a community tank.

Yeah I was thinking about breeding since I have a bunch if spare 20 gallons now but I figured it would be too much of a hassle being I have to get this tank all ready before thinking about anything else lol. I have like 10 baby swordtails, guppies and mollies and whatnot from when I had my old community tank with all the live bearers-babies EVERYWHERE ALL the time. One of the reasons I switched to angels. I also have turtles, a hamster, and dogs to tend to so I have a lot going on right now haha! Oh I've gone way off track from the original issue- so overall I should: bring down my lighting to about 6 hours a day, lower my feeding, and trim the leaves and scrub most of the algae off and be patient. I also have ordered some duckweed...I've heard it helps get rid of algae quicker as well as the shrimp and snails I will order.

Hey guys- quick update- today I trimmed all my plants, got rid of the leaves covered in algae, groomed up the tank a little, did a 50% water change and scrubbed all the sides and its looking a lot better, but I expect the algae to come back so I have my shrimp coming in tomorrow so hopefully they can help control it a little. I also am supposed to be getting my C02 tomorrow and my fish will come Friday. All my parameters are good now, nitrate at around 20ppm. Is that good? Ammonia at 0 as well as nitrite, and my pH is still stabilized at about 7.6 and my angels are great. Thanks for all the help!

In a planted tank your nitrates should be between 10-20ppm and phosphates between .5-1ppm

Ok so I'm good on nitrate. I checked my phosphate 2 days ago and completely forgot what it read...I'll do it tomorrow. So do you think I can pull off 8 angels in a 60 gallon for awhile until they get too big?

Back
Top Bottom