HELP Blue-green algae taking over my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MolsonEx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Here is my case. Having a 55 gal fresh planted that is just cycled. Nitrate=10 Ammonia=0 Nitrite=0 Ph=6.8 Temp 79/26. With ODNO light. 1* Natural sunshine T8-32W and 1*Plant&Aquarium T12-40 W.
In my aquarium there are red/green slimy blankets ( i think blue-green algae) that covers my flourite, my glass and destroing my plants. I tried to do a black out for 3 days and this helped for a week. Then it came back even better. What can I do ?! TIA.

Greetings,

MolsonEx

When you remove the sheets, does it have a very strong odor, kinda of like freshly mowed grass, only more pungent and almost sickly sweet?

If so, its definitely cyanobacteria. it occurs in tanks with low nitrate, and/or low circulation. your nitrates at 10ppm seem good...so what sort of filtration are you running?

Hello,

Nitrates at the moment=0. The rest is the same. This green stuff smells like sh*t. A bit like fresh cut grass. I started my small power head to improve the circulation. My filter is a Eheim 2217 Canister. I keep the outlet about 2 inch under the surface so i don't lose too much Co2.
What should i do. Try again a black out for 5 days ?! Or put some more filtration and move the surface of the water a bit ?!

Greetings,

MolsonEx

This http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#bluegreen article suggests erythromycin treatment. A blackout is a possible temporary fix. After the blackout make sure ALL of your nutrients including light and CO2 are abundant and add as many plants as you can. Fast growers like Elodea Najas, Wisteria and Anacharis will help outcompete the cyano and you'll want lots of water changes over the next month to make sure it doesn't come back.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice but where do i get this erythromycin treatment ?
It sounds a bit special. Can i find it in the LFS in Canada ?!

Greetings,

MolsonEx

I don't know about Canada but you can buy it at Petco here. Mardel makes it as a fish medication. I checked Big Al's Canadian website and they have AP brand E.M. tablets for 6.99 so you should be able to find it locally. If you don't see it at your LFS just ask because other products may be erythromycin and not labeled directly as such.

Hello,

TnX for the advice. How much tablets should i use to treat 55 gal ? And treat the tank for 5 days ?!

Greetings,

MolsonEx

I've never actually used this treatment but the article suggests 200mg/10gal of erythromycin phosphate. There aren't any details as to whether you need to maintain this dosage every day for a week or just once. The tablets will say what dosage each tablet is. I would add the recommended dosage once only and change 25% of the water as soon as the goop breaks up and every 3-5 days for the next 2 weeks then every 5-7 days for the next two weeks. Don't dose any ferts for the first two weeks. Use your gravel vac to suck up any remaining gunk when you do the water changes. All this is hearsay, second hand, or common sense info so YMMV. I've never had to battle Cyano but this should be a decent battle plan. Malkore, Green, Travis or someone with first hand exp.?

Here's my recommendation:
try a blackout first, after increasing nitrates to 10ppm (your first post listed them at 10ppm which is good, but now you say they are 0ppm , which is why you've got the cyano)
if a 5 day blackout doesn't do it, then try the antibiotics. the Mardel brand is called Maricyn. make sure you get the freshwater Maricyn, not the saltwater kind. Also, don't accidentally buy Maricyn II, because its a totally different antibiotic.

For dosing, follow the package instructions for a normal dose on day one (which is basically 1 tablet per 10gallons). But on the next 5 days, only do a half dose (1 tablet per 20 gallons, or 2.5 tablets for you).

I've only had cyano twice, and the blackout and proper nitrate levels didn't phase it, so my last resort was antibiotics...and it should be your last resort also.
manually remove as much as you can. it may be easiest to use a gravel vac, and then pull up the cyano with one hand and suck it up with the vac before it flys around the whole tank (might wanna shut off your filter when you do this to reduce current).

Hello,

Thanks everyone. I'm now in my 3rd day off EM treatment and it is looking good. Thanks.

Greetings,

MolsonEx

I had a problem exactly like this (as a newbie I had no idea what to do). I went away for the weekend and kept the light off for the three days and didn't feed the fish. I came home and the ENTIRE tank was cleared up! No blue-green algae at all!

Hello,

I tried that also. I coverd the tank for 3 days. No light, no food. It was gone after 3 days but came back stronger after 1 week. It seems that sometimes it was dying off itself but last weeks is was only getting bigger and bigger. The tank was smelling like sh*t and my plants where getting eaten by it. So now i tread it with EM and it is going good. Hope it stays away.

Greetings,

MolsonEx

Back
Top Bottom