HELP! CO2 (90gal aquarium)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently using pressurized CO2 with PH controller and carbon doser regulator. ( it measures bubbles per second and additional valve to change bubble size)

KH-6
PH controller set to 6.8
.5 per bubble and 8psi bubble size

Assuming my PH controller is calibrated (which it is), KH is stable, no excessive water movement to off-gas then my PH should be a stable 6.8.

I wake up this morning and my CO2 and my PH controller reads 7.0 and my CO2 unit is playing catch up and working overtime.

I understand minor fluctuations will occur but the purpose of the controller if properly set should keep the PH at 6.8.

What could be happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had no problems. But I just realized that I've added a Fluval Surface Skimmer and it's probably off gasing the CO2 faster than it can keep up. I've just shut if off and now waiting to see if I can get things back to normal.

Lol. 90gal

I have recently been trying a diffuser (rather than the ceramic stone).

Might try bumping up the co2 flow a little as ph starts off at say 7.4 (or 7.6 after water change) and after 3 or 4 hours gets it down to around 7 to 7.1 (maybe 6.9 on a good day). I have a digital ph meter which agrees with the ph controller read out.

Tank size is 150gal and I'm starting to wonder if this is a bit big for one co2 outlet. I mainly use an internal filter to push the water around as the ph meter is 4ft away on the other side to the co2 outlet.

Does you co2 dosing get the ph down to 6.8 fairly quickly?

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6133

That looks nice - how do you inject the co2? Is it something to do with the bottles?

Do you use a needle valve on yours? Mine only has a coarse valve and I wish it wasn't so sensitive.

It has a reactor that I connect differently to my canister. No needle valve. It has a second psi gauge to change bubble size. The solenoid has a timer. You can go from 10sec a bubble to .1 sec a bubble.

I found my problem. It was my very expensive Korallin Brass Check Valve. It must be plugged has a high crack psi. I've tested it and it's taking 4sec per bubble.

I've bypassed the check valve and the conditions are stable. Plants pearling after 30min. I've just ordered another check valve (plastic) with crack psi of 4. I run my system at 1 bubble per sec with 6psi.

I do not recommend the Korallin Brass check valve. I just read a bunch of negative reviews. Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom