Help getting these plants growing! ;D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laughing

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I recently bought a 10 gallon set up for my new fish. I purchased two crypt. Wendtii, a corkscrew val, and moneywort. As well I have java moss and a marimo moss ball in there. The wedntii and val are just babies and I need them full grown!

How can I get these guys growing fast? I have (2) 15 watt bulbs but the junk ones the tank comes with. The hood says not to max 15 watts. So will 15 watt fluorescent bulbs with a high spectrum be great for them to grow quick?

I have about 7pH, 80* water, a good amount of hardness, all parameters are where they should for the plants to grow well! I also inserted a Seachem Flourish roottab under the wendtiis and val.

Any tips?? :D

Crypts just do not grow that fast, the vals can grow very quickly. Get bulbs that are 6400K and the plants should do ok. Do you have fert tabs in your substrate under the plants?

IMO everything sounds good. You may be able to use DIY CO2 but we need an experienced DIY CO2 person to chime in and say what can be done as far as CO2.

the cheapest/easiest upgrade at this point is getting some spiral cfl bulbs, just make sure they fit in the hood as some tend to be kinda wide. They make some specifically for aquariums that are more slim, I've gotten them from walmart.

Look for something in the 6500-10000k range

II have the root tabs which is a fertilizer. They are chalked full of trace minerals, iron, etc. They get their nutrients and feed off there. If I should add additional fertilizer what should I add?

I don't expect the crypt to grow over night, but I also don't want it the same size for 6 months which most people have with these guys!

Thanks jeta! I bought 25 watt bulbs yesterday then realized its a hazard... ;(

For my 10 gallon tank i a have 2 mini CFL's 13 watt each, 6500k, 800 lumens and as far as plants go i have 1 rem melon sword, a bunch of moneywort stems, Abunch of Cabomba, dwarf hairgrass, and a Amazon Sword. They are all doing good and growing fast. I also have API root tabs and API leaf zone. NO co2 in my tank.

I have only had them for a day but purchased Kent Marine Pro-Plant liquid fertilizer. Is this stuff a good product to use?

Be careful with the Excel, yours vals may not like it at all. I would try a DIY Co2 setup, that fert is worth a shot just follow the directions and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom