HELP! How long for CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckapp10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How long should I run CO2 for in my planted tank?
At 1 bps
I'm also running a air stone. Is that a good or bad idea?
51239935292__2F7D7D3C-96AB-49AB-ADBF-137DEA5460F6.jpg

Depends on a lot of factors. I like to turn mine on one hour before the lights come on. And turn off one hour before lights turn off. You typically want to shoot for a 1 point ph drop before lights come on. And then turn off hour before lights turn off to have the plants use up the co2 before they stop photosynthesizing.

Also I do not see a drop checker in there. I highly recommend getting a drop checker to show your co2 level. I would look into getting one. Super cheap and worth it.

I would also recommend turning off the air stone and turn it on at night when the co2 is off. Reason being is you want very little surface movement to allow the co2 to stay in the tank and not dissipate.

The plants will provide more than enough oxygen during the day when co2 is on.

Hi sorry to but in here but I was wondering would turning the air stone off be the same for using liquid co2 as well?

No such thing as liquid co2. You mean carbon. Air stone doesnt matter there. Although there is no need for it except for aesthetics.

How long should I run CO2 for in my planted tank?
At 1 bps
I'm also running a air stone. Is that a good or bad idea?
View attachment 297023

Yea a drop checker is a good idea. I'd guess you'd but up around 2bps in a tank that size to get it lime green.

I aim to have my checker green-lime before the lights come on so I start 2 hours before light on and turn it off a hour before the lights to give the plants a chance to off gas before the light go out. Seems to be working perfectly so far

Everyone's tank is different tho so don't be afraid to play with it abit. Your Airstone will off gas any co2 gas your pumping in so remove that completely.

It's best to try and get as much contact time for your co2 bubbles as possible so mounting your diffuser under a filter intake or under a power head is a great idea.

Another option is a reactor so u get no off gas at all a cerges or Griggs reactor can be made for pretty cheap. Just google those to get the plans [emoji106]✌️

Ditto on the reactor. The single best investment for my co2 system. I get absolutely zero bubbles in my display tank. If you do like some bubbles then a atomizer would work also. So I did not have to tap into my existing fx4 filter hose which is 1" I just got a dedicated Fluval 206 with no media in it just to turn over co2. For best flow I put the 206 out right behind my stronger flowing fx4 out and works great.

No such thing as liquid co2. You mean carbon. Air stone doesnt matter there. Although there is no need for it except for aesthetics.

yes sorry i meant carbon also you say you dont need to except for aesthetics but if i didnt have it would there be a shortage of o2?

thanks

Most people shut co2 off at night. Typically on little before lights come on then off a little before they go off.

I run mine 24/7. Everyones tank is different. But if used responsibe rarely are there o2 issues. Ive never needed an air stone

I use an internal filter for my 28G tank as my sole filtration equipment. It generates lotsa surface agitation. Should I turn it off while my CO2 is on?

Some surface agitation is ok..too much not good. It's something youll have to play with. Watching tank inhabitants/plants, drop checker and bubble counter.

If thats your main filter...I wouldnt

Some surface agitation is ok..too much not good. It's something youll have to play with. Watching tank inhabitants/plants, drop checker and bubble counter.

If thats your main filter...I wouldnt

What would you suggest mate?

What would you suggest mate?

Could do a few things. Get a canister filter and use that for co2. Or get a diffuser with current setup. You would just need to run more bps due to surface aeration from the HON filter.

Post a fts. Are you having trouble holding ppm?

Sorry mate, I don't test my water parameters. Dunno if that's cruel but I've never had any need for it for the past 15 yrs. But I added CO2 to my tank only a couple of days back. I'll be buying a test kit soon.

Sorry mate, I don't test my water parameters. Dunno if that's cruel but I've never had any need for it for the past 15 yrs. But I added CO2 to my tank only a couple of days back. I'll be buying a test kit soon.

In before u gas all your fish... You need a drop checker to atleast give u a ruff idea. Not testing is possible. However when it comes to co2 it's a fine line between enough and too much.

I don't know who started this whole "non testing" thing but personally I think it's pretty stupid. Doesn't hurt to test here and there just to make sure things are in check.

Back
Top Bottom