Help, How to plant my new plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishshl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help, How to plant my new plants?

Just got Green Wendtii, Anubias Nana and micro sword from a new opening fish store, all half price.

Guys, can you let me know how to plant them?

One more problem is first I didn't plan to buy micro sword, because I don't know it.
My tank is very low light. Only 15w for 20G, and recently I don't have plan to upgrade it.
The guy working there strongly recommend it to me.

Now I found it need bright light. Can it survive in my tank?

Thanks

Carefully cut away the pots and peel away the rock wool around the roots. Get as much rock wool away as you can. Trim away any dead looking roots and you can remove some if the pot is really entangled, but not more than 1/3 or so.

I usually grab the roots with my fingertips and shove into the substrate. This way my fingers do the digging and protect the roots. Anubias nana doesn't have to be in the substrate as it isn't a root feeder, you could tie it to a rock or drift wood. Just don't bury the rhizome.

Green wendtii might benefit from a ferttilizer tab (root tab) placed depp under it. Other than that, I would not go crazy anf fertilize your tank. You have low light, so fish poo should be enough.

Microsword should be broken up from its clump and planted the same way (tweezer would help as finges are a little big fro this job) However, it will not survive in your lighting.

Thanks, gfink.

How much light need for microswrd? I can see fish like them. If I give enough light, is it easy to survive?

maybe 2.5 wpg, probably more like 3.

What kind of light do you currently have? flourecent or incandescent (regular light bulb)? If you have a regular bulb, you can replace it with a 15W compact flourescent which will put out much more light, but still not enough.

When planting the Anubias, make sure that you do not bury the rhizome. That is the "stem" that the leaves are attched to. Only the roots should go into the substrate. Annubias can also be tied to a rock or driftwood piece instead of being planted. Anibias must be a root feeder, since it can be grown emersed.

On the light hood, it says -- 24" flourecent aquarium reflector. specification: 19watt , 120 volt, 60 hz.
But on the light bulb, it says 15w.

what means of 19 watt? Is there any light bulb 19 watt? Or just means the light hood only can support maximum 19 Watt?

How to tell flourecent or incandescent ? Sorry I am just a beginner, too much questions?

Thanks in advance

off subject but what store did you go to? what is the aquarium adventure in shaunburg on saturday? i was there and got all the fish halfprice which i loved

Yeah, I went there, it's amazing. All half prices. I bought four plants. Now no room for my 20 G tank.

Back
Top Bottom