Help ID duckweed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered greater duckweed online and it came in today. I think I got regular duckweed instead. It doesn't look like it did in the pic. Hoe big should the greater duckweed be than regular it lesser duckweed? It a little smaller than a green pea. Here's some pics.

ForumRunner_20120918_151548.jpg

ForumRunner_20120918_150815.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120918_151016.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120918_151016.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 72
It's going to need a few days to recover. Tough call at this point, but it doesn't really look like duckweed to me at this point (although the two are so similar).

OK we will see. Ill be fine with regular duckweed but i paid extra for the giant duckweed. $7 for 1/4 of a cup opposed to $4.50 for regular. Also the power filter is blowing it around a little more than I thought it would. I put a makeshift plastic ring around the return on the filter out of a butter container. Any better or other ideas on how to keep it from blowing around and will it bother the duckweed to move a bunch? Thanks

you could raise the water level if you have a hob filter. this will push it out and around, instead of pushing it down, and into your intake.

I did its max, but it still pushes it around the surface pretty good. What if I wad to put some sort of sponge over the return into the tank? Would that do anything?

I am now following this thread because i want a floating plant like duckweed and my Magnum H.O.T. creates wayyyy to much surface agitation for ANY floating plants. :banghead:

You could create a baffle to put over the HOB output. It helps diffuse the the current power. I believe greater duckweed grows multiple roots out of it's leaves where as the smaller duckweed has one root per leaf.

I just split the surface of the tank in half. One half filter and no duckweed and the other full of duckweed. Thanks for the help and ideas though.

Back
Top Bottom