help id plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azure bones

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help identifying these plants plz I picked them up at the lfs b4 I got real in to plants and wanna look up the light requirements and placement

It will take awhile for the mods to post your picture, so it might be awhile before you get a response.

It looks like it could be some kind of anubias but tough to tell from the picture. If it is anubias, you have the rhizome burried, which will eventually kill the plant. It needs to be either tied to driftwood or rocks, or planted just so the roots are in the substrate.

It also looks though like the stem is quite woody, which would leave me to believe it might not be a true aquatic plant.

It could also be some form of aquatic or nonaquatic sword, but again, I can't tell for sure from the pic.

(In reference to the first pic)

Not 100% sure on the second one either... the stem looks strange... some kind of milfoil?

fort384 said:
It looks like it could be some kind of anubias but tough to tell from the picture. If it is anubias, you have the rhizome burried, which will eventually kill the plant. It needs to be either tied to driftwood or rocks, or planted just so the roots are in the substrate.

It also looks though like the stem is quite woody, which would leave me to believe it might not be a true aquatic plant.

It could also be some form of aquatic or nonaquatic sword, but again, I can't tell for sure from the pic.

(In reference to the first pic)

Sry if this a noob question but for sure what a rhizome is. It seems to be just stem and roots though and wouldn't be surprised about beinging non aquatic bc the same lfs sold me a red crinkle which I already looked up and found was non aquatic

The rhizome is the thick horizontal stem looking thing at the bottom of some plants. The way you are describing it sounds like there is no rhizome so it is not anubias.

I would guess sword or maybe hygrow, though the leaves look big for any aquatic hygro sp I have seen.

Good work on the other ID!

fort384 said:
The rhizome is the thick horizontal stem looking thing at the bottom of some plants. The way you are describing it sounds like there is no rhizome so it is not anubias.

I would guess sword or maybe hygrow, though the leaves look big for any aquatic hygro sp I have seen.

Good work on the other ID!

Ok is this the rhizome?

Attachments

• IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 84
Nope. No rhizome on that plant. Still not 100% sure what it is. Stem looks more like hygro than sword but again the leaves are really big for a hygro. Big veins too on the leaves. My guess is non aquatic. Someone will know...

Back
Top Bottom