Help ID some plants, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up a bunch of plants at the monthly SCAPE meeting this past Sunday, not sure what they all are.

I'd love to get some input from the more-experienced here, please

Here are the pics:

I got a bunch of individual stems of this as well as a big bunch connected to what looks like a horizontal rhizome
20130821_081511.jpg

I believe these are giant baby tears...
20130821_081524.jpg

A sparse amount of this, Pennywort perhaps?
20130821_081536.jpg

Only 4 stems of this pretty stalk-er
20130821_081602.jpg

Got a bunch of what looks like variegated amazon sword...
20130821_081736.jpg

One long strand of this grassy looking fellow
20130821_081759.jpg

12 stems of what was labeled "Ludwigia Hybrid"
20130820_223819.jpg

One of these, is it a small amazon sword or a crypto?
20130821_081831.jpg

And finally, I bought 10 red rilli that came in a bag on this clipping, it's pretty
20130821_084116.jpg

I'd love to know what I got and how to best propagate, grow and care for these.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The ludwigia looks like ludwigia brevipes

The crypt is not a crypt but a sword

The 4 stems are most likely Ammania sp. 'bonsai'

The first might be lindernia variegated, or bacopa

Forgot the name of the last one

Last one could be pogostemon stellata, ludwigia looks similar to my ludwigia perugensis

The third one looks like hydrocotyle sp. Japan. The last one looks like limnophila aromatica.

Edit: the 6th one down, long grassy fellow, looks to be Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia'.

BTW, nice plant acquisitions at the meet.

Thanks, I did ok :cool:

I don't think the last one is Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia' - I had that, it melted for me... I have no idea what it is, yet. It's in my grow bucket for now till we ID it.

It looks more like limnophila hippuroides (or limnophila aromatica) with the bottoms of the leaves being purple in color...

Does that one have a rhizome?? It kinda looks like a narrow leaf or needle leaf java fern from here.

The sixth one.

Does that one have a rhizome?? It kinda looks like a narrow leaf or needle leaf java fern from here.

The sixth one.

#6, the grassy fellow, does indeed seem to have a long/lanky rhizome with roots popping out along it...

My vote is for narrow leaf java fern :)

If you mean Microsorium pteropus (java fern) it's not that. I have some to compare against and everything about it looks different.

This one is more like a grass than anything else...

If you mean Microsorium pteropus (java fern) it's not that. I have some to compare against and everything about it looks different.

This one is more like a grass than anything else...

Do you you have the narrow leaf variety? I can't think of any other plant.

Thanks, I did ok :cool:

I don't think the last one is Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia' - I had that, it melted for me... I have no idea what it is, yet. It's in my grow bucket for now till we ID it.

It looks more like limnophila hippuroides (or limnophila aromatica) with the bottoms of the leaves being purple in color...

It's the 6th picture from the top, not the last one (last one is limnophila sp.). Upon closer inspection (zooming in), I still think the grassy looking plant is the hygro angustolifolia (aka: hygro willowleaf).. The stems haven't grown long yet on your specimen. It's as if it was growing horizontal and it forced the plant to grow side shoots.

I have a ton of this plant and I even sold some not too long ago... pictured here.

img_2621666_0_b5e8148ae47cb02a290789c1477c551e.jpg

It's the 6th picture from the top, not the last one (last one is limnophila sp.). Upon closer inspection (zooming in), I still think the grassy looking plant is the hygro angustolifolia (aka: hygro willowleaf).. The stems haven't grown long yet on your specimen. It's as if it was growing horizontal and it forced the plant to grow side shoots.

I have a ton of this plant and I even sold some not too long ago... pictured here.

Ahhhhhh. I see what you mean, Brian. That makes sense.

Oops wrong pic. This one. Haha.

This is a beautiful plant too, Joey. I have narrow leaf java fern in my 2g Pico cube. It does great in low light as with the broader leaf variety. The narrow leaf is definitely one of my favorites.

This is a beautiful plant too, Joey. I have narrow leaf java fern in my 2g Pico cube. It does great in low light as with the broader leaf variety. The narrow leaf is definitely one of my favorites.

I love it. I saw a 60P with it and it was swaying in the current beautifully.

Here is where we are so far...

Based on responses, here is an update of what we are:

Bacopa monnieri
20130821_081511.jpg

Lindernia rotundifolia
20130821_081524.jpg

Hydrocotyle Sibthorpiodes ?
Cardamine lyrata ?
20130821_081536.jpg

Ammania sp. 'bonsai' ?
20130821_081602.jpg

Echinodorus cordifolius ?
Echinodorus osiris ?
20130821_081736.jpg

Vallisneria ?
Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia' ?
20130821_081759.jpg

Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata
20130820_223819.jpg

One of these, is it a small amazon sword or a crypt ???
20130821_081831.jpg

Limnophila aromatica
20130821_084116.jpg

Thoughts???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom