Help identifying this plant.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So the tag said Rotala Indica, but it doesn't look like the pictures I am seeing when I search for how to take care of Rotala Indica. Basically I just want to know if I should clip off the parts where the flowers have bloomed. Also what type of fertilizer it may need. The leaves are browning.

I clipped off the flowers and rearranged the plant since i had to do a pwc (cycling tank). It looked so pretty at the store but now it just looks....blah. Any advice would be appreciated.

That looks like an emersed stem of Rotala Rotundifolia that was allowed to flower. If this is the case, it needs to transition back into submerged growth first. This might be the cause of the browning that you are experiencing. Hopefully it will recover and start growing for you. Make sure it has everything it needs (ferts and light, hopefully carbon too) and it will turn around for you.

Also, beautiful country down there.

aqua_chem said:
That looks like an emersed stem of Rotala Rotundifolia that was allowed to flower. If this is the case, it needs to transition back into submerged growth first. This might be the cause of the browning that you are experiencing. Hopefully it will recover and start growing for you. Make sure it has everything it needs (ferts and light, hopefully carbon too) and it will turn around for you.

Also, beautiful country down there.

Well that would explain it. It was submerged at the store though... I'll have to get some fertilizer.

If you have a decent bioload and low light, you may not need them. Depends what your nitrates are testing at

aqua_chem said:
If you have a decent bioload and low light, you may not need them. Depends what your nitrates are testing at

My nitrates are high! 40-80ppm. My tank is cycling still and I have 1 betta. 5 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom