Help ID'ing Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H2OJO

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys,

Can anyone identify the below algae for me please, and what might be causing it?

I've been battling it for weeks and all i can do to get rid of it is to remove the leaves. It has taken hold on some of my amazon sword leaves and i really don't want to cut them back and lose the leaves completely.

That is Black Beard Algae. How long do you run your lighting daily? What type light and bulbs are you using and what are your tank parameters?

When dealing with algae you need to only run lights 6 hours daily or do a siesta period running them 3 hours on, 2 off, then 3 on. Then you can spot treat the BBA using Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. Turn off filters, pull up 3ml of peroxide for every 1 gallon of water in a syringe. Slowly squirt the algae and leave filters off for 20 minutes. Within 24 hours the BBA will usually start turning white, pink, or red which means it's dying. If you have a lot to treat you'll have to do any area daily.

Thanks for the reply.

I was running 2 x 18w Life Glo T8 tubes from 2pm to 11pm. Those are 6300K I believe.

Algae was already there on this setup.

I have since upgraded to 2 x 28W T5 lights at 10,000k, which is what came with the tank. I didn't want t5 so was using an older t8 hood as it would put me in the medium light territory.

I am now dosing easy carbo and profito due to the new light intensity.

I am also running reflectors.

The schedule is now 8am to 1pm, and 5pm to 10pm.

Not tested water parameters yet but I know I am high in nitrates as my water supply is as standard. I live in a very hard water area.

Will see if I can rid it on the treatment you said but any other pointers would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom