Help, I've been duped by Petco (plant ID question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got excited about putting some live plants in, and bought from Petco. They are labeled things like "combo" and "potted" but no real names (that should have been my first clue). So I did a search for 'Petco' in this forum, and found that many plants from Petco are not truly aquatic. In fact, I've already figured that I have at least 5 houseplants, and I need help ID'ing the rest.

Let's see if I can post a picture....

Here are my guesses, let's see if anyone agrees.

#1 Emersed Queen Marble Radicans
#1 (back) pipewort? Acorus/sweetflag, non aquatic
#2 (Front) Black Sword
#2 (Back Left) Dracenea Sanderiana (not aquatic)
#3 No Clue, Dead Indian Fern?
#4 Bacopa of some kind

#1 (back) Acorus
#1 (front) Syngonium podophyllum v. 'White Butterfly'
#2 (back) Dracena sanderiana
#2 (front) Spathiphyllum tasson
#3 Trichomanes javanicum

all non-aquatic. I would take them back!

#4 kinda looks like Hygrophila difformis that was grown out of the water.

Alright, so about the only aquatic thing I got was snails!
I will keep #4 and take the rest back. Lesson learned. :(

Vmax911, Be sure to complain and suggest that it is a bad business practise to ignorantly sell mis-labeled products. All of these would probably do fine in your yard or potted, but do not belong in your aquarium.

Looking through these, I have also purchased almost all of these same plants at some point over the years. It wasn't until recently that I discover it wasn't my fault these plants didn't work out... they can only rot, die and mess up your aquarium...

Here's a good site with information on some of these:

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=11

Thanks for the link. Those plants certainly do look like the ones I got! Too bad it's autumn, or I would have used them as marginals in the pond.

we get our shipment from local business, and is labeled "live aquatic plants"

we just got in a new shipment

cabomba
anakaris
java fern
amazon swords
combo plants(mixture of java, sword, ect..)
and all those plants listed above.

next time our shipment comes in i will look at the company we get our plants from and the names of the plants, to see whats going on.

we actually sell a lot of those plants shown in the link as aquatic plants, which really blows, because i have quite a few in my tank...

SHIFT_Unique... I take it you work for a LFS? If so, thank you for being concerned! Please do figure out who is passing these off to you as true aquatic plants and make a fuss... You could probably still sell what you have as bog or terrarium plants, depending on what they are.

I have noticed that some LFS label these plants as "Terrestrial", but I always figured that meant that they were land plants that could also adapt to full aquatic life, since they were sellling them full submerged. While there may be plants like that out there, I think this is really more of a practise in poor ethics on someones part...

Great, I have some in my tank...I will take them out....I just bought the fern plant as well because I love the feathery look but I just may compromise and set -up a small tabletop type fountain for it to live in a a bog plant... oh well..... :roll: . Live and learn and be a sucker I guess!

Trish

Anyone want to give another ID-try for the fourth picture? It's the only one of the lot I kept. However, now the base of the stems are turning brown (rotting?). In fact, I think you can see a little of that happening in the picture provided (lower left stem).

There are roots sprouting out of some of the "joints" above the rotting part. Should I break off the rotting part and replant, or yank the whole thing?

Back
Top Bottom