Help java algae problem !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warrenj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone tell me what this is on my java moss, more importantly how do I get rid of it.
Water parameters are all fine but this dose not seem to go away even after water changes.

I was told to manually remove as much of it as I could which I did but a week later I am back to square one. I have cut my lighting down to 7 hours, tank is not in direct sunlight so I am stumped.

Strange thing is I also seem to be loosing fish, I constantly lose a fish every two to three weeks, I have installed a uv light but still no change then this morning I found a shrimp that had died. On inspecting the fish and shrimp there are no visible signs which point to sickness etc...

As I have shrimp and tetras I don't really want to use chemicals unless I "REALLY" have to

Any suggestions and help would be awesome.

Thanks

Warren

IMG_2128.JPGIMG_2129.jpgIMG_2130.jpgIMG_2131.JPG

That stuffs a nightmare to get rid of I've heard. It's called crynobacteria (spelling?) or blue green algae, A few things u can do to get rid of it,

Keep nitrates high around 30ppm, remove as much of it as u can by hand and then hit the tank with h202. Throw in an Airstone and black the tank out for 3 days.

After the 3 days vac all of your substrate, remove all filter sponges and give them a really good clean. Scrub or bleach (if your brave enough) all the walls of your filter, clean all hoses and fittings.

Keep your lighting at 6 hours for the next week or 2 then slowly increase it to 8 hours.

This type of algae generally is trigger by nitrates being consistently low. I'd aim to keep your nitrates at 15-20 in the future.

Hope I've helped!

That stuffs a nightmare to get rid of I've heard. It's called crynobacteria (spelling?) or blue green algae, A few things u can do to get rid of it,

Keep nitrates high around 30ppm, remove as much of it as u can by hand and then hit the tank with h202. Throw in an Airstone and black the tank out for 3 days.

After the 3 days vac all of your substrate, remove all filter sponges and give them a really good clean. Scrub or bleach (if your brave enough) all the walls of your filter, clean all hoses and fittings.

Keep your lighting at 6 hours for the next week or 2 then slowly increase it to 8 hours.

This type of algae generally is trigger by nitrates being consistently low. I'd aim to keep your nitrates at 15-20 in the future.

Hope I've helped!
First off, beautiful tank set up! Love the tree look.
Also I agree with the information. I have read and heard that this type of algae is an absolute beast to defeat! I am sorry it had to happen to ya. Nitrates is a factor as it thrives in water with no other bacteria.
The best thing to do is water changes and add in nitrogen. Do max amount per instructions. And then (you will hate this) remove as much by hand as often as you can.
I have heard this is really sucky to get rid of and doesn't happen over night. You just got to keep at it.
As for the fish dieing... No idea. I don't think this type of algae is toxic in anyway. But I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Wow
Thanks for all the advice, my understanding is that nitrates should always be at 0 to avoid hurting the fish and shrimp this is if I am understanding you correctly. In terms of the filters etc being cleaned and blacking out the tank light wise for 3 days I will start and post an update. How about spraying the java fern with hydrogen peroxide during a water change would this assist, not however sure of the exact mixture / strength to use however?
I have been dosing with liquid co2 near the area and can see that the algae is turning brown and clearing a little.

Thanks again
Warren

Wow
Thanks for all the advice, my understanding is that nitrates should always be at 0 to avoid hurting the fish and shrimp this is if I am understanding you correctly. In terms of the filters etc being cleaned and blacking out the tank light wise for 3 days I will start and post an update. How about spraying the java fern with hydrogen peroxide during a water change would this assist, not however sure of the exact mixture / strength to use however?
I have been dosing with liquid co2 near the area and can see that the algae is turning brown and clearing a little.

Thanks again
Warren

Nitrates should never be at 0 in a planted tank. U want to aim to keep it atleast 10-20 or your plants begin to starv.
Fish do fine in water above up to 40. Even above 40 it's really not that bad if u ask me.

Shrimp are a little more sensitive but I'm sure they would still tolerate up to 40.

I've got an Oscar tank that goes from 30-60+ every week and I've never had any illness etc.

You can spray the BGA with H2O2 during water changes. Fortunately, it is not very adhesive, so it should be easily removed with a siphon during water changes (be sure the rinse the bucket real well to prevent reinfection.
API erythromycin is a very effective treatment. No harm to fish, inverts and BB (did not detect an ammonia spike).

Back
Top Bottom