Help! Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to get Odyssea lighting for my 55 gallon tank. I want to be able to grow pretty much anything I put in there,and have them flourish. I know I can't make them grow any faster, but if they do, thats a bonus. I need some help selecting which model. Here are the options:

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

Any input or experience with these lghts will be apprectiated. I don't plan on adding Co2 if that makes any difference. Thanks!

I'm going to get Odyssea lighting for my 55 gallon tank. I want to be able to grow pretty much anything I put in there,and have them flourish. I know I can't make them grow any faster, but if they do, thats a bonus. I need some help selecting which model. Here are the options:

Any input or experience with these lghts will be apprectiated. I don't plan on adding Co2 if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Not to burst your bubble but you won't be able to grow "pretty much anything" if you don't add co2 also you may have an algae farm with powerful lights and no co2. Plants need a balance of co2 light and ferts. If the three aren't in synch algae will form. Co2 is easier than you would think if you look into it. I would at least consider adding some excel or something. What type of substrate will you be using?

I was planning on using liquid ferts. Guess I should have included that. My problem with Co2 is that I don't have the money for a pressurized Co2 system. I plant to get Eco-complete substrate and if that isn't enough, then I'm going to put MG organic potting soil underneath.

I was planning on using liquid ferts. Guess I should have included that. My problem with Co2 is that I don't have the money for a pressurized Co2 system. I plant to get Eco-complete substrate and if that isn't enough, then I'm going to put MG organic potting soil underneath.

Okay I say try it with excel Eco complete and liquid ferts. If it doesn't work you can always only use one bulb or get a second bulb that won't help algae such as a blue or pink bulb.

So you think the 2 x 54 watt will be enough? Or would I be better getting the 4x54 watt?

So you think the 2 x 54 watt will be enough? Or would I be better getting the 4x54 watt?

If you get anything more than 2 bulbs without co2 you will have major algae issues. Already with the current two bulbs you may have to only use one. And perhaps another pink or blue bulb.

Hopefully Rivercats can chime in on this. I know she does high light plants and doesn't have co2 system but she does use liquid co2.

Hopefully Rivercats can chime in on this. I know she does high light plants and doesn't have co2 system but she does use liquid co2.

Yes but she does very high light and had a short high light burst wich helps. Also she has been keeping planted tanks for a long time and had a lot of experience. She is also the only person I know who can do this without algae.

So I will still have a lot of quick growth with the 2 bulb? I ask because I know it's not 3 wpg.

You will but still not as much as with co2. you won't have a balance of co2 light and ferts. If the three aren't in synch you will have issues. Co2 is the most important of the three. Over 50% of plants consist of carbon (co2) this should help you understand that without co2 plants struggle to grow.

You will but still not as much as with co2. you won't have a balance of co2 light and ferts. If the three aren't in synch you will have issues. Co2 is the most important of the three. Over 50% of plants consist of carbon (co2) this should help you understand that without co2 plants struggle to grow.

I uderstand that they need Co2. All pressurized systems seem to be hundreds of dollars. something I can't afford right now. I was hoping that excell would suffice.

I uderstand that they need Co2. All pressurized systems seem to be hundreds of dollars. something I can't afford right now. I was hoping that excell would suffice.

I know what you mean I'm in a similar boat as you right now. As I said earlier buy the dual fixture and try it if it doesn't work change one of the bulbs to one that won't help plants. You will be able to keep most medium and some high light plants with this fixture. Dose excel. In the future if you can afford co2 go for it. I myself will be purchasing a cheap co2 system, I think I can get a good regulator an excellent reactor and a tank for a little less than 250$.

Back
Top Bottom