Help me help my hate tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I went on a hunt for hardscape rocks at Lowes. Anddddd we came back emtpy-handed :( And with a sore face! I don't think I should go shopping until at least Wednesday. Sheesh. Ashleynicole, you're right, Day 3 was worse and today I do feel a lot better. I've been sleeping better too!

I found a couple rounded rocks in storage, so I put those in the tank today. I also bought some species of val- I think it was sold as a corkscrew val but I see nothing corkscrewy about it- which I placed in the tank too. I added more hornwort, and some java moss.

I also dropped in my pleco to give her the opportunity to eat the algae on the sides of the tank before I scrub it off. I hope she appreciates the snack.

I'm more pleased with the tank because of the rocks, and I don't know what more to do with it. Other plant orientations don't please me as much.

My other tanks look more natural, in which I use more rocks and extensive use of driftwood. I think I prefer the natural look, but it'd be boring if all my tanks looked that way right? ;)
This tank reminds me a disco.... the colors are so bright! ;)

Pics to come tomorrow!

This is very interesting!! Ill be following!!
If you ever want to make a trade for hornwort--hit me up lol

Oh, and could you post those aquascaping articles? Ive been trying to find some good ones to use in my 40!:)

gabysapha said:
Sheesh. Ashleynicole, you're right, Day 3 was worse and today I do feel a lot better. I've been sleeping better too!
Glad your feeling better, unless you get an infection of something it should all get much better from this point. My husband had sinus surgery a couple of years ago and after the 3rd day he was much better. Plus I'm a nurse :)

Can't wait to see more pictures. I am wanting to rescape my tank but I'm trying to wait till we move as I will be upgrading everything to my 55 gallon when we find a bigger place.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the hiatus. With a decrease in the pain in my face I moved up to eating tofu and I was bitten by the cooking bug- to my boyfriend's delight. I made some fantastic wontons yesterday, as well as tofu desserts. if you have interesting recipes for tofu or wonton wrappers please let me know ;)

@Ashelynicole, thanks for the reassurance! It's been a week since the surgery and I'm back to my normal activities save for eating a normal diet. I'm down to half the amount of painkillers I need too, so I'm very pleased. No more upset tummy ;)

I'll also add that I received an order of H. formosa yesterday from Hcaaquatics on Aquabid. I highly recommend this seller- the package was beautifully packaged and the helpings were generous. Anyways, I love least killifish! They are tiny livebearers native to the US. But they are not mindless like Endlers- they are inquisitive and curious. They remind me of sparkling gouramis. I would love to kick my Endlers out and establish a breeding colony of H. formosa. Here's a link to google images for Heterandria formosa.

But I'll stop hating on the Endlers. Some of my peacock males look really awesome this week- they are literally rainbow.

But back to the Hate Tank:

It's done for now. I think. I can't think of what else to do with it. I'll gladly take suggestions!

After I took this picture I added more frogbit to soften the light, and I was much happier with it after that.

What bothers me is that I get no sense of depth with this tank. I'll have to work on that.

I realized the importance of good hardscapes. My other tanks have hardscapes I'm happy with, and I think working around those hardscapes made for prettier tanks. With this tank, I have a hardscape I'm not very pleased with.
I'll be on the lookout for some nice driftwood or rock!

I am pleased with the brightness of this tank. It makes for a great contrast with my natural aquariums in the same room, and guests are surprised to know these plants are all real!

Just working in this little tank helped me realize quite a few things about aquascaping in general. It was very educational for me, and I was happy to share my experiences with others!

Here are some link to forum threads/websites that helped me learn about aquascaping.

AquaScaping World Magazine - Creating Depth and Perspectve in an Aquascape

Youtube- Dustin's Fishtanks. He discusses aquascaping and his videos are helpful. She does swear a lot though, so be warned ;)

How to Acheive Depth in Layouts? - Aquascaping World Forum

Aquascaping Principles

A guide to aquascaping the planted aquarium

Nature Aquariums & Aquascapes of Samit Roy

Art of Aquascaping: Which Style Fits You? | AquaScapist

Aquatic Eden: The Golden Rule of Aquascaping - Aquascaping Aquarium Blog

The Planted Tank forum- awesome!

Thanks to everyone who followed this thread and who made me feel I was not alone in this adventure ;) You were all so supportive and I thank you for that. I'm a little sad to bring this thread to a close! I don't know what more to add! I suppose if I find a new hardscape for this tank I will reopen the thread?

;)

Back
Top Bottom