Help me Identify this plant please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krissycakes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got it from petco, the guy gave him to me for free and told me to do some research on it. Well I am having trouble.

Could you guys help?

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Yup I got java fern, and went back to get more.

The one I purchased today has little leaflets. I broke them off and put them in some substrate=)

Make sure the rhizome stays out of the substrate. Java ferns, like anubias, actually grow best if they're tied on a rock or driftwood piece.

Yes! Lava rocks are perfect because they have lots of holes for the roots to grow into and hold on

You may well find it is easier to float java fern leaves until they produce some babies, which usually grow near the tips. They will have some roots. Then you can tie those roots to a rock.

The single fern leaves, if they don't have an attached rhizome, won't grow a new one. But many of them will live long enough to produce a few baby plantlets you can grow on, before they rot and die.

I refuse to buy ferns that are potted, since virtually always the rhizome will be rotten and I'll have a bunch of leaves that I have to wait around for while they make some babies, and then grow the babies on rocks or wood. It happens but it is slow, they are not the fastest growers even with CO2. And not all leaves make babies.. though most of them will.

Back
Top Bottom