Help me with my plant list (Low light)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
For a ten gallon, PFS substrate. Any insight as to how dense each plant gets and it's growth rate is much appreciated, as well as any ideas of where to actually plant it in the tank. While my tank cycles all I can do is scroll through SweetAquatics and think about what I want in the meantime. The website gives very brief detail about the plant, so I'd like to read some elaboration by you guys. This list is extremely elementary, and is almost solely based on the fact that I liked the way the plant looks in pictures. Any modification to plant numbers is also appreciated!

(3x) Bacopa australis
(1x) Java fern
(2x) Sagittaria platyphylla...says medium light, but I really like it. Any success in low light? I
(2x) Anacharis
(1x) Bacopa monnieri

Thanks guys

Looks like a pretty good low light list. I haven't kept those specific bacopas though so I'm not sure. From what I've seen of the sags, most seem to fade away without higher light levels.

Check out crypts and anubias as well. They tend to do very well under less light.

Java fern can be pretty prolific in good light. I've got one in my 29g about 8" deep under two 18W CFLs. It's about the size of a softball and I pull baby ferns off it every week or two. It loves Seachem Flourish. Just remember not to bury the rhizome. Attach it to driftwood for best effects.

Anacharis grows very tall. It stays thick and bushy under decent light, but it thins out a bit under weaker light. You can just cut the top off and replant it.

What kind of light are you planning to use?

Thanks guys, will definitely look into all that.

As for lighting, I just have a standard fluorescent that is 15W if I recall (not home at the moment). The bulb is 8500K.

that should be sufficient.
i like to reference the plant guide on plantgeek.net for info on plants. it seems to be good info and simple to use.
it seems you have mostly tall plants. you might want to try some shorter ones for mid-fore ground coverage. some crypts as HN1 suggested would be good.

that should be sufficient.
i like to reference the plant guide on plantgeek.net for info on plants. it seems to be good info and simple to use.
it seems you have mostly tall plants. you might want to try some shorter ones for mid-fore ground coverage. some crypts as HN1 suggested would be good.

Yeah I actually just came across a thread on plantgeek that listed a large amount of the "best" low light plants. Will definitely be doing more research, and I'll take a look at those crypts. Thanks, keep it comin'!

Yeah I actually just came across a thread on plantgeek that listed a large amount of the "best" low light plants. Will definitely be doing more research, and I'll take a look at those crypts. Thanks, keep it comin'!

If the bulbs are replaced as needed, that's more light than most would give it credit for. You can grow alot in a shallow tank under that light.

Actually, all plants in your list except java fern are medium light. Bacopas may not look nice and bushy under your conditions. Anacharis may outstrip other plants of nutrients, since it is a fast growing plant.

Actually, all plants in your list except java fern are medium light. Bacopas may not look nice and bushy under your conditions. Anacharis may outstrip other plants of nutrients, since it is a fast growing plant.

Define "medium light". All light is not the same. Type, spectrum, bulb age, etc. all really matter. Nutrient uptake is a different issue. Keeping plants is really a matter of trial and error IME. Use the "low, med, high" as a starting point, but don't let that preclude you from trying anything.

Anacharis won't rob root feeders of nutrients. If it outcompetes your plants, you need to add root tabs or the equivalent.

Strange...all of them except for the one I stated was medium light specifically said "Low light"

Hey guys I was wrong on the wattage. The light is 19 watts, I got it confused with my dart frog tank light. While not much 19 is still better than 15 :). I'm also going to replace the bulb I guess because I can't remember if it has 6 months of use or not. What K value should I get for a 19 watt lamp?

Define "medium light". All light is not the same. Type, spectrum, bulb age, etc. all really matter. Nutrient uptake is a different issue. Keeping plants is really a matter of trial and error IME. Use the "low, med, high" as a starting point, but don't let that preclude you from trying anything.

Anacharis won't rob root feeders of nutrients. If it outcompetes your plants, you need to add root tabs or the equivalent.

There are quite few definitions of low medium and high light out there. My favorite is that low light plant will grow well with the standard light that typically comes with your tank kit, i.e. one fluorescent strip lamp. Medium light plants will require two or three strip lamps and high light will need more powerful sources. I agree with you though that trial and error is part of the fun.

There are quite few definitions of low medium and high light out there. My favorite is that low light plant will grow well with the standard light that typically comes with your tank kit, i.e. one fluorescent strip lamp. Medium light plants will require two or three strip lamps and high light will need more powerful sources. I agree with you though that trial and error is part of the fun.

Good info, thank you. I can't wait for this tank to be done cycling. I hate looking at an empty tank.

I'm not sure if this is really the right thread to be asking this but is there a thread of plant classification like highlight lowlight and conditions with pics maybe haha if there isn't I challenge one of you too I'm a newbie so I can't myself. I Have a planted tank but the place were I got my plants never told me the species or name I basically said I that one and that etc I think I should take clippings and go to the store well w/e that was my mini rant

I'm not sure if this is really the right thread to be asking this but is there a thread of plant classification like highlight lowlight and conditions with pics maybe haha if there isn't I challenge one of you too I'm a newbie so I can't myself. I Have a planted tank but the place were I got my plants never told me the species or name I basically said I that one and that etc I think I should take clippings and go to the store well w/e that was my mini rant

Here it is

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Back
Top Bottom