Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Help me with my plant list (Low light)

For a ten gallon, PFS substrate. Any insight as to how dense each plant gets and it's growth rate is much appreciated, as well as any ideas of where to actually plant it in the tank. While my tank cycles all I can do is scroll through SweetAquatics and think about what I want in the meantime. The website gives very brief detail about the plant, so I'd like to read some elaboration by you guys. This list is extremely elementary, and is almost solely based on the fact that I liked the way the plant looks in pictures. Any modification to plant numbers is also appreciated!

(3x) Bacopa australis
(1x) Java fern
(2x) Sagittaria platyphylla...says medium light, but I really like it. Any success in low light? I
(2x) Anacharis
(1x) Bacopa monnieri

Thanks guys

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nobody? :-(

Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a pretty good low light list. I haven't kept those specific bacopas though so I'm not sure. From what I've seen of the sags, most seem to fade away without higher light levels.

Check out crypts and anubias as well. They tend to do very well under less light.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Java fern can be pretty prolific in good light. I've got one in my 29g about 8" deep under two 18W CFLs. It's about the size of a softball and I pull baby ferns off it every week or two. It loves Seachem Flourish. Just remember not to bury the rhizome. Attach it to driftwood for best effects.

Anacharis grows very tall. It stays thick and bushy under decent light, but it thins out a bit under weaker light. You can just cut the top off and replant it.

What kind of light are you planning to use?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys, will definitely look into all that.

As for lighting, I just have a standard fluorescent that is 15W if I recall (not home at the moment). The bulb is 8500K.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

that should be sufficient.
i like to reference the plant guide on plantgeek.net for info on plants. it seems to be good info and simple to use.
it seems you have mostly tall plants. you might want to try some shorter ones for mid-fore ground coverage. some crypts as HN1 suggested would be good.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
that should be sufficient.
i like to reference the plant guide on plantgeek.net for info on plants. it seems to be good info and simple to use.
it seems you have mostly tall plants. you might want to try some shorter ones for mid-fore ground coverage. some crypts as HN1 suggested would be good.
Yeah I actually just came across a thread on plantgeek that listed a large amount of the "best" low light plants. Will definitely be doing more research, and I'll take a look at those crypts. Thanks, keep it comin'!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Yeah I actually just came across a thread on plantgeek that listed a large amount of the "best" low light plants. Will definitely be doing more research, and I'll take a look at those crypts. Thanks, keep it comin'!
If the bulbs are replaced as needed, that's more light than most would give it credit for. You can grow alot in a shallow tank under that light.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually, all plants in your list except java fern are medium light. Bacopas may not look nice and bushy under your conditions. Anacharis may outstrip other plants of nutrients, since it is a fast growing plant.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzmey View Post
Actually, all plants in your list except java fern are medium light. Bacopas may not look nice and bushy under your conditions. Anacharis may outstrip other plants of nutrients, since it is a fast growing plant.
Define "medium light". All light is not the same. Type, spectrum, bulb age, etc. all really matter. Nutrient uptake is a different issue. Keeping plants is really a matter of trial and error IME. Use the "low, med, high" as a starting point, but don't let that preclude you from trying anything.

Anacharis won't rob root feeders of nutrients. If it outcompetes your plants, you need to add root tabs or the equivalent.

Tags
light, low light, plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com