help my plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a sword plant at least that is what i think it is. I have had it since march and know the leaves are starting to lose their color you can see through them. I use a fresh water fert. one a week I opnly have two plants in a ten gall. tank.

Thanks tess

Sounds like you might need to add a little potassium...

It would help a lot to know what kind of light you have, and the brand of fert and dosage you are using.

This happens to sword plants when they don't get enough light. I am assuming your 10 gallon has a single 18" bulb on it. IME, a single 18" bulb can barely keep a sword alive. I think it would be a good idea to do some or all of the following:

1) Replace your bulb. (Depends on how old the bulb is of course)
2) Upgrade your lighting.
3) Add CO2. (This helps a little)
4) Replace sword with lower light plants. (Most swords get too big for a 10 gallon anyway)

I've got a 10 gallon tank too. My Red Melon Sword looked horrible under the standard 15W flourescent bulb that came with it. It was dying, and I contemplated taking it out.

Upgraded my lighting and went with some DIY CO2. I added some ferts, and they have taken off. Looking completely different, and much much better.

And yeah, i can see it getting way too big for my 10 gallon tank, but I don't want to pitch it. It looks too good.

CO2 and a good root tab as well as potassium. I grew an absolutely monsters Red Melon Sword in a 10 gallon with 15 watts of light and DIY CO2. When I switched to higher light I removed it because it just grew faster.

Back
Top Bottom