Help my poor plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so one of my plants (I was told it is a melon sword) is starting to get translucent and some of the leaves are kind of starting to curl under? I was using some kind of stuff for my plants I forget what it was called but I just recently got some flourish for them. What could be wrong? I know this isnt the best picture of it but I am not a great photographer haha but you can see one of the leaves curling under towards the front but you cant really see the translucence but its there I promise! What can I do? Is there anything?

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 99
Do you have any fertilizer at the roots? Swords need ferts at their roots to thrive. Quickest solution is a pre-made root tab. They sell them at big chain pet shops. If your a DIYer go for osmocote or dry ferts. Good luck.

Darnit! I was ordering stuff and I never even thought about getting root tabs but what kind would you suggest?? Also the tank is a 20 gallon long and as for the lighting Im not even sure what I have and I usually keep it on around 8-10 hours sometimes more sometimes less. Right now I am treating for internal parasites but I doubt that would have done it because I noticed a little bit of the curling the day before I started the treatment for the parasites but I did not notice the transparent leaves before I started but maybe I just missed it. Could the treatment for the parasites be making this worse? I am treating with tetra parasite guard tabs (the fizzing kind) Thank you!

Also do you happen to know of a website that can help me make the root tabs? Or would I be better off just buying some?

brunettebaby4571 said:
Also do you happen to know of a website that can help me make the root tabs? Or would I be better off just buying some?

I get a scoop of osmocote wrap it in a small piece of coffee filter paper and then jam it in the substrate. Get osmocote plus for the micro nutrients. I can only find osmocote fruit and veggie where I'm from, it has no micros listed. It still works wonders. One coffee filter should make 8-12 pieces. That's just one mans opinion. There are many other method on this site let alone the Internet.

Where can I get this osmocote from? Is it pretty easy to find or would I have to order if online?? I really appreciate your help!! I am working on getting some co2 going in the tank as well. Does co2 really make a huge difference in plants?

One more question...Are the paintball co2 tanks the same as the other co2 tanks??

brunettebaby4571 said:
One more question...Are the paintball co2 tanks the same as the other co2 tanks??

From what I read they're different mouths requiring different mount.

I was looking online and I found some osmocote tabs...Would those be any good? Have you ever tried them?

1. yeah you can use paintable co2 tanks you'd just need to always get refills ( not that bad ) 2. You could buy pre made osmocote balls or just make your own, costs about 20 bucks for gigantic bottle of it. I'm guessing they're selling like 20 for 20. 3. DIY co2 on a 20 gallon is iffy. You might need two bottles to get an okay amount of co2. One bottle didn't work for me. Finally, question are what make the site awesome, so keep um comin' :).

Ok I apologize for all the questions but I realllyy appreciate all your help!! Ok so what would be the best route for co2? Or do I really need it that bad? I was looking at the flourish excel and I know its not a substitute for co2 but would that be better than not having co2 at all? And I am def going to get something for the roots!

Check this site out for a less expensive pressurized c02 system

Pressurized CO2 - The Planted Tank

DIY will work, I agree that you will need 2 bottles. It's a pain tracking down leaks and optimizing c02 output. If you have the money go with pressurized c02.

atxpunx I was looking on ebay and I found little basket type things you fill with that osmocote and stick in down in the substrate would those work okay instead of the coffee filters? Or would the coffee filters be better? And thank you Alkane I am going to look into it and see what I can get!

I'm not sure I've seen those. I'm not big on spending money when I can do it myself. How about a link. Trail and error. If you think it works, try it. If it didn't, at least you know for the future.

One more question...Would a bubble bar or stone or anything of that sort take the co2 out of the water? Would I have to turn it off (I think I read somewhere that plants use more co2 at night) so would it be beneficial to turn the bubblers off at night or would it have no impact on the co2 and leave it in the tank?

While those are cool, it looks like the holes might be too big to keep osmocote in the basket. Try it out though, let us know how they work.

Back
Top Bottom