Help my Wisteria is withering!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few weeks ago I "pruned" and replanted some of my Wisteria. It had been growing like crazy. So I cut it and replanted. But now my original stems look horrible. They are not. Right green and the leaves are tattered.

Tank info:

28g bowfront
Temp- 78
Ammonia- 0 ppm
TrItes- 0 ppm
TrAtes- 5 ppm
Stock Flurescent lighting.

Add liquid CO2 daily and fertilize weekly.

Mainly a rainbow tank, but also have 4 Oto cats and a Clown Loach( I know)

Tank is established and otherwise doing great.

Should I prune the leaves that are dying? Dud I prune it wrong? I just cut it.

There appears the be some new growth at the bottom.

Is this normal?

Thanks. These are my first live plants and I love them.

Here are pics

Attachments

• image-90483615.jpg
    image-90483615.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 110
  • image-4053463378.jpg
    image-4053463378.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 111
Yes. Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food. Says it contains Micro and Macro nutrients. I dose once a week. As per the bottle instructions

The plants don't look bad to me. Understand when trimming tall plants often times lower leaves aren't as nice looking or as thick and lush as upper newer leaves closer to the light. Leave them alone and give new growth time to come in and fill those stems back out.

Awesome!! Thanks. The fact that there is new bright growth at the bottom kept me from ousting earlier.

Should I trim away the fading leaves? Or leave them be? When will the off shoots start to get taller? They look great and healthy. Except my loach is uprooting one if them. Brat.

Thanks for the the reply. I am notorious for killing plants. But my aquarium plants have been doing well.

Personally I'd leave them alone and let the plant stems regrow. The newly planted stems will start growing soon, just give them time.

What kind of light do you have and how long have you had the plant? The melting leaves, low nitrate levels, and yellow new growth is indicative of a nitrate problem.

The new growth is bright green. Not yellow. Sorry.

I just looked! Go me for being proactive about lighting: sarcasm: my fixture is a 15w T8 full spectrum fluorescent. Me thinks an upgrade will help. What wattage would be good for the low light plants I have?Tank is 28g. I was thinking 30w. And is T8 good? I don't really understand the difference between T8 and T5.

Thanks everyone for your help. I kind of jumped in to the deep end not knowing how to swim.

If you look on aquatraders they have some decent lighting for affordable prices. You might want to look into high output fixtures that could open up your options for different plants

I like the T5HO 2 bulb fixtures myself. LED's are more expensive up front but might be worth looking into.

Just a nice, pretty, low maintenance planted tank. Nothing fancy. I just want to make sure that the plants I do have are being given the right environment.

Well wisteria is pretty easy. Occasionally there'll be some leaves that die. Te light you are using is enough to care for wisteria.

Back
Top Bottom