Help needed for lighting planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
HELP, I am a lighting newbie...I need to order some light bulbs for my tank.

Tank is JEBO style is "New R375" 37G, and approx 16" to substrate from bulb, has a reflector and plastic cover to protect bulbs from water. Two light switches, one for each bulb.

Would like to have any kind of plants but low tech, not use CO2. I'm not feeling like adding that right now. I can use liquid and substrate capsule ferts. Looking for fairly simple set up.

Jebo makes proprietary pin base (4 in line/like for the UV sterilizers) for the light bulbs and I hate paying for shipping (lol) so I want to get this right!

They offer all bulbs, in 10,000K - option of Actinic, 50/50, or white, in 18W, 24W, 36W and 55W.

Right now I have one 55W 50/50 or actinic, one tube is blue and one is white but I think it said actinic --second bulb got broken).

Since i am ordering I wanted to start out with two fresh bulbs and keep the other for back up.

Please HELP!

If what they have are 10000K, blue or 50/50 I'd get 2 10000K bulbs and skip the blue. I'd also only use one bulb for most of the day with the second on foe an hour or two for a mid-day burst. At least until you have lots of plants growing in the tank. Can you use a separate timer for each lamp?

Thank you, no just on or off for each.

This was a craigslist awesome deal with big stones and everything needed (I added sand for $6.) fish supplies and stuff, and stand for $50. So I don't want to complain, lol. I just didn't get to pick and choose the features. Can't spend the $$$ that way right now!

What do you think about one 50/50 and the other white? (kinda like the blue tint in the evening) All types are 10,000K, white, 50/50 or actinic - three light color choices available.

How about Wattage?

I try to give the plants a siesta 2 hours mid light period with the light out anyway.

If you want one 50/50 that's fine. Everybody has a look they enjoy. For wattage you'll need to get the one that works with your fixture. Whatever your running right now is what the fixture can use. Nothing else will work. Most light fixtures can't run multiple wattages of bulbs. If yours is different I wouldn't know.

Back
Top Bottom