Help! New Amazon sword plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNorlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I just received and planted a new amazon sword plant. It is looking pretty bad and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to bring it back to life. Understanding I just planted it last night from being in a mailed envelope for a week. Any help would be really appreciated. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412779227.331896.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So long as the crown is healthy and it has some roots it should recover, though it may shed many of the older leaves.

Do you know if it was grown submerged or grown emersed ? If was grown emersed, it may shed almost all its leaves, but so long as the crown's healthy, new ones will sprout from the crown. They're pretty heavy feeders, so give it root fert tabs, once it gets some new growth.

Do you use Excel [or glut] or CO2 ? Any of these will help it recover if you aren't already using them.

Thank you. I don't currently use excel or CO2, just flourish tabs in the gravel. I have some excel on order though. I am REALLY new to the planted aquarium world, but I am very excited and am researching like crazy. There is just so much to know and I didn't think this sword had much time. The crown is where the leaves come from the roots? If so, these looked really healthy and the roots looked good too. Should I just trim off the yellowed leaves and wait for new growth? This would entail cutting all the leaves off just above where they start growing on the stems right?

I had a sword that required me to remove all the leaves. It's slowly working it's way back. I've been using root tabs and glut to nourish it.

You can certainly trim off all the dying or badly damaged leaves. If a leaf still has a good portion of healthy green on it, just cut off the damaged part, as any intact green leaf tissue will continue to photosynthesize and make food to support the plant's recovery. You can remove those leaves later when new growth has come along.

Cut as closely as possible to the crown, because leaf tissue left behind will rot, though usually small left behind bits won't cause any problems. When the plant has recovered and grown some good strong leaves, instead of cutting, you can gently peel damaged or old leaves away. This usually leaves no tissue behind. Think of how a head of celery or lettuce grows. If you pull a leaf or stalk off from the base of celery or lettuce, it will usually come off clean, leaving little or no part of itself behind. Same idea with the sword leaves. You can hold the crown down with one hand, peel off a dead leaf with the other. Best done on plants that are well established, so you don't accidentally tear the crown.

Generally there are just 3 types of plants in terms of how they grow. Crown growing, stem growing and bulbs. Not many water plants have bulbs, but Lilies, Aponogeton & Crinums do. The rest are crown or stem growers. Some have rhizomes, either above or below substrate, but rhizomes are simply a modified stem. Stem growers can be usually be propagated from cuttings easily. Some plants can even be propagated from simple leaf cuttings. Crown growers frequently produce runners with little plantlets. These you can grow on separately once they have some leaves and roots of their own, or leave them to spread as they please.

Swords all have crowns; all the growth comes from a central point. Most crown growers will rot if the crown is buried, so always leave the crown exposed above the substrate. Bury only the roots. Aside from the red coloured ones that need more light to keep their colour, swords are not demanding of a lot of light. Most of them will recover, even from pretty severe damage, so long as the crown itself is healthy and intact.

Ok. This is GREAT information. I think I planted it all in the substrate, so I will redo that....thanks! You just saved me from killing it for sure. I will trim as you mentioned and thank you for the information regarding types of water plants.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry, glut is the active ingredient in Excel. You can also get it cheaper in a product called Metricide 14. I got a gallon for $30 on Amazon.

In case anyone wants to get picky, I was being very general categorizing plants as I did. There are also some that simply grow from their roots, often in clumps, which can resemble those growing from crowns. Typically, burying these plants deeper than they were grown to begin with also results in rot, so treating them as you would a crown usually works.

Thanks Fishfur. :)

I will give it a few weeks and then post a picture, but here it is trimmed:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412902400.894221.jpg

I'll probably end up trimming it a bit more in a few days, but I want to see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom