Help requested by a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRingOfFire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
I've recently set up a 100L tank and am having trouble with this unknown plant i picked up from a pet store:

image-2625688087.jpg

It came like this but I suspect it is getting worse. First of all, is someone able to ID the plant and give me an idea as to what is causing it to look so sad?

I have 3 yabbies (big mistake), 8 white clouds, 8 neons and 2 goldfish. Gravel substrate only and DIY Co2. Dosing with excel flourish.
Have had the tank about 3 weeks. Help please! Should I get rid of it or am I able to remedy it with time?

I think that plant might be a mondo grass, nonononono, they are not aquatic
You have a very bad stock, goldfish can't go with tropical fish they are cold water fish, also the WCMM
What size tank is it?

That's a Val Species. I think jungle Val. I might be wrong, but I don't that Excel is notorious for melting Vals and Some other plants.

I'd tend to agree it's a val but there just isn't enough of the entire plant visible to id it for sure. BUT I have 2 55g tanks with goldies and that is exactly what val looks like as the goldies munch on it. So it's the fish not that plant that is the problem.

As already mentioned Goldies are not suitable tankmates for tropical fish. You can keep the White Clouds with them tho. But also depending on the type of goldies you have a 100L tank is not big enough. Plus Goldies are plant eaters and there are only a few plants they won't eat. So if you want a planted tank I suggest rehoming them.

By Yabbie I am assuming your talking about crayfish? Yabbies I know are omnivores so they too will eat plant material. IMO not a good choice for a planted tank.

So basically you need to decide what stock you want to keep which will determine if you can keep plants. Also what type lighting and bulbs do you have as lighting determines which plants will grow in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom