Help required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtank Tom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to this I have a tank and have been putting in live plants but they seem to be shedding or maybe dying but all the leaves are scattered around the tank and are clogging up the filter if anybody has any advice that would be much appreciated.

Welcome to AA! Can you give more info? Type of lights, how long are they on , tank temp, substrate type, plant type.....

Was hoping a more experienced member would jump in here. If I m remembering right, you want 2W per gallon of water but tank depth & type of light factor in as well.
Moneywort is a low to medium light plant, never had any , but think it s usually easy to grow. Are you adding glut or fertilizer.
A lot of plants lose their leaves & get all dramatic when you first get them. Just watch for new growth.
And go to the planted tank section & search Moneywort for info. Good luck!

WPG is an outdated way of measuring light. Read up on PAR, it is a lot more reliable than watts per gallon. Moneywort need medium light. Could you show a picture of the tank? What type of bulb do you have? How long do you run the lights?

Also what are the water parameters (ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc). Has the tank been cycled? If it has, how long as it been cycling?

Also what are the water parameters (ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc). Has the tank been cycled? If it has, how long as it been cycling?

The lights are on for 10 hours a day the tank is 22 litres, the pH is 7.0 the ammonia is normal, so is the nitrate and nitrite. I have not used any fertilizer.

These are the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20140427_130407420_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140427_130407420_HDR.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 60
Plants do need time to acclimate especially if put into a tank with lower light than what they had been growing in. Another thing is that you have them planted in a bunch which can keep light from reaching lower leaves causing them to fall off. Each stem should be planted individually with the leaves of each stem almost but not quite touching each other. You may want to consider upgrading your lighting or adding a little more. Using a liquid carbon daily and a fert like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive once a week after your weekly WC will also help. If you find you begin having algae problems down the road you may have to shorten your photoperiod.

What strength of light would you recommend at the moment I have a 11 watt perhaps 25 watt. Also you mentioned fertilizer are these safe to put in with tropical fish.

Back
Top Bottom