Help save the plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squealor

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read all the stickies, but things with plants can get pretty confusing for a newbie... :) I have 6 plants that were bought for their looks not realizing different plants need different light, etc. Now, that I've actually realized what it takes to have a planted tank, I'm trying to correct all my previous mistakes. I made the following changes just two days ago:

* Replaced the lights that came with the tank (30w? fluorescent) with a new fixture (110w, compact flourescent, 9325K, tri-phosphor bulb) which makes it 2.4 wpg
* Started putting fertilizer tabs under the sword
* Started liquid fertilizers: Flourish, Flourish Iron, Flourish Phosphorus, Flourish Potassium
* Added another Plant Gro CO2 Natural System (already had one)

Am I missing anything? How often should I be fertilizing?

Also, pretty much from the start, I've have an algae problem... brown algae on plants, driftwood and a bit on glass. I read that can be from lack of light? With the new light will that go away?
I also have what I think is blue-green algae algae on the gravel, rocks and plants. I've been rubbing it off the plants and vacuuming it off the gravel, but it just comes back the next day or so. Will the changes I made get rid of it, or will I need to do more? I read it's from poor water quality or even low Nitrates. My nitrates are in the 5-10 range pretty much all the time. what other water quality could effect algae (ammonia zero, nitrite zero, phosphates and iron were testing next to zero or very little, too). I do 15% water changes once weekly.

Thanks again!! I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the plants!

brown 'algae' is actually colonies of diatoms, and pretty common in any young tank.
I've foudn that strong light makes diatoms go away. Others diasgree. But we all agree that they will fade away over time, and that Otocinclus (ottos) love to eat the stuff.

What is your Nitrate level? low to 0ppm nitrates is usually when BGA (cyanobacteria, not a true algae either) shows up. The other cause is lack of enough current, but I'd bet yours is related to low nitrates.

try to keep 10-15ppm of nitrates, and 1-1.5ppm of phosphate. don't bother testing iron or potassium.

My nitrates are only about 5... pretty low. How can I safely get them up higher?

Thanks!!!

I use Seachem Nitrogen to keep my nitrates at 10 ppm. I have three 5 gallon tanks with one betta each, so the bioload in each tank is pretty low. If your fish aren't producing enough nitrates, you could use the Nitrogen. I use 1/4 teaspoon twice a week.

How big is your tank? About 55 gallons? If that is the case, you will go through that bottle of Nitrogen quickly. I like the ease of the Seachem fertilizers for small, low-light tanks like I have. If your tank is large, with medium light, it would be easier and less expensive to get your fertilizers in bulk. Malkore or someone who uses bulk fertilizers can help you with that.

My tank is 46 gallons. I'll try adding the Nitrogen. Will adding more fish help, too? I only have 13 fish in there (and they are all small except the gourami).

Adding more fish will likely increase nitrate, but that is not always the best idea if it will mean overcrowding and excess organic waste in the tank. In general it is much easier and more effective to dose the required ferts than to try to manage organic waste.

That said, if you do want more fish and have room for them, then just keep an eye on your plants and the nitrate and make adjustments. :D

BTW, the blue/green algae could possibly be cyanobacteria, and you'll need to watch this carefully as well, as it may require a blackout or antibiotics to cure.

Back
Top Bottom