Help shaping java moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can use fish netting to hold it to the ship. It will eventually grow around it and hide it, but it will help train the moss where you want it to go.

Take it and the ship out of the tank. Pull the moss out to make it a flat sheet or sheets. Get a spool of black cotton thread (cotton thread will eventually dissolve so be sure its 100% cotton not a poly/cotton blend like alot of thread is), start laying the moss on the ship in areas and tie, tie, tie, actually it will be wrap alot and tie. It will look bad at first but trust me the moss will grow, fill in, and cover the thread in time. I can't judge how much moss is actually there but as long as you can get alittle spread all over the areas you want and tied down it will eventually spread. One thing tho... is the finish on that ship smooth? If so the moss won't be able to grip. Plastic won't work, ceramic if the finish feels rough might actually work.

Dry the decoration and moss and apply superglue gel to the area you want covered. Use gloves or tools to keep from getting glue on your hands.

I heard people talk about this but what kind of superglue? Also is it okay for the moss to dry out?

Pretty much any superglue will work fine. The moss can be out of the water for long enough for the glue to setup and be handled. Java moss is extremely resilient.

1: Super Glue was intended as quick stitching and although not promoted as a medical product it can act as such - it just does not go through medical testing for batches!

I have in-fact cut myself deeply with a knife and super glued the wound together - worked like a treat and I am only partially disabled now! -- I am kidding - worked 100% without a hitch.

2: I am sure drying out the java moss will not be a good idea :)

Drying out java moss is totally fine, I have tons of the stuff and have been doing it for years. I have even left some out overnight on accident and placed it back in a tank the next day, and it still recovered.

I just use paper towels to soak up any moisture on the moss prior to gluing it, if you don't it may not stick.

And yes, super glue on cuts works awesome in a pinch!

+1 to jetta i got a bag of xmas moss and had to wait a few days for my wood to sink properly before tying it to it, the moss was almost all dried up and i have to embarrassingly say this but it was also brown, i tied it anyways and now its growing

Back
Top Bottom