Help starting java moss clippings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozcheez

Aquarium Advice Regular
Disclaimer: I'm such a plant noob, so I know I'm probably using wrong language and terms in places :lol: my apologies! Feel free to help me out and set me straight! :p

My LFS didn't sell any java moss, and they've recently removed it from all their tanks. But they offered to pull off a few pieces that had started growing on a rock surface (they just can't eliminate it from this one tank). So, I have 3 ~1" "strings" of java moss. I want to eventually introduce it to my 50 gallon tank, but pieces this small will easily get sucked into the filter or pulled out by fish, and they're almost too small to tie to something.

Does anyone have a resource I can read or any tips for starting this moss so I can let it grow a bit before introducing to the tank? I don't have any other tanks in the house, but I'm creative, I could maybe rig something up.

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

You can put it in a vase on a window sill changing out the water once or twice a week until it grows enough for you to easily attach it to something in your tank. I keep java ferns and moss like this in my kitchen :)

Wonderful! And super easy too. Thanks, mumma! Can I just use tap water or would it help to dechlorinate it?

Mumma.of.two said:
You can put it in a vase on a window sill changing out the water once or twice a week until it grows enough for you to easily attach it to something in your tank. I keep java ferns and moss like this in my kitchen :)

Good tip! I'll use this one myself, thanks!

true that. i kept spare java moss outside in my back garden, in a small plastic container just getting sunlight and a very rare (once every 2-3 weeks) water change, and it grew faster than the stuff in my tank.

Thanks everyone :) I ordered some Flourish and that should be here tomorrow. Hopefully with the natural sunlight and the addition of some flourish, it won't be too long before I can attach it! :)

You can also wind those few strands you have around a small piece of styrofoam and let it float around the top of your tank. Being that near the light, it would really take off for you.

Back
Top Bottom