Help stocking a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyCho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40g breeder that I'm about to put my first ever CO2 setup on. The guy from my LFS helped me a lot and I'm going to be putting basically all types of plants in there so I can grow them or propagate them in that tank and move them to other tanks at will. But I want to put fish in it since it'll be so big and lush it would seem a waste not to. I was thinking some tiny cichlids like Rams or appistos but I have never kept cichlids before. Any suggestions? Any suggestions for fish other than cichlids? As long as they don't destroy plants I'm basically up for anything in there. Let me know, and the tank isn't cycled or started yet. Just planning right now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Otto catfish are great for keeping the algae away, I've recently set my planted tank up and I've got 2 angels a few tetras 2 ottos 2 corydoras 2 desert gobys (there my fav) all really good with plants. I've had Rams before and there really good with plants as well :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Awesome. I have a tank with corys already so I'm not desperate for any more of them unless they're really good with the Rams. I kinda want my focus for it to be small fish big plants. I didn't even think about angels although I'm so hesitant to try em haha. I thinkni should try my hand with slightly less sensitive fish first. Also, this tank is likely going to be 100% RO. That's what I was recommended for Rams or appistos anyway. Otto's would be awesome but good ones around here are like $5 ea and I would want a group. Not worried about algae much tho, I don't mind cleaning algae too bad haha...yet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want Rams, it'd be best to keep them with South American tetras since they like high temps. With Apistogramma, you can keep them with the likes of tetras, rasboras, and barbs (Cheery Barbs look fantastic against greenery--an underrated fish), and some others.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom