Help to ID Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm having a hard time finding a 'good' t5no setup. I keep seeing Coralife and Aqueon, however they have terrible reviews and seem to fail often.

Are there any other alternatives with using a t5ho maybe and no co2 system w/o creating a mess of algae?

Are there any co2 systems that can be purchased complete? I just can't wrap my brain around building one just yet.

Co2 is really easy, nothing to wrap your head around, just need 4 things, a co2 tank a regulator airline tubing and a diffuser. Its not overly complicated but can be expensive and you probably don't need it. Depending on what size and how deep your tank is t5ho can be medium light and co2 wouldn't be needed. If you want something more simple I actually really liked my aqueon t5no and you could also go with a finnex fugeray for a little more money, finnex is also coming out with a new plant fixture this fall. Rivercats has a high light tank and only used liquid carbon supplements with amazing results for a long time.

Co2 is really easy, nothing to wrap your head around, just need 4 things, a co2 tank a regulator airline tubing and a diffuser. Its not overly complicated but can be expensive and you probably don't need it. Depending on what size and how deep your tank is t5ho can be medium light and co2 wouldn't be needed. If you want something more simple I actually really liked my aqueon t5no and you could also go with a finnex fugeray for a little more money, finnex is also coming out with a new plant fixture this fall. Rivercats has a high light tank and only used liquid carbon supplements with amazing results for a long time.

I really appreciate you both bearing with me and all my questions. You're definitely right in that I don't need co2, I don't plan to go heavily planted by any means.

My tank is 21" so is that something that t5h0 could work in? My main concern is just excess algae. You think a t5h0 could work along with liquid co2 then I can definitely go that route. I see many t5h0 setups now.....would I just need a single bulb or double bulb and what wattage am I looking for if this would work?

I read terrible reviews on the aqueon along with the coralife t5no which is why I am hesitant to go that route.

Is this the finnex you were speaking of? An LED? Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 12-Inch: Pet Supplies
I have a marineland single bright led now, but I think this finnex one has more leds on it which is why you're saying it would work in this case?

Adding more here, I just looked into the FugeRay and the Ray 2. The Ray 2 has more LEDs even than the other. Would that be a better option? I think these Finnex's could be a winner here. Just need to decide which one. I would like to keep medium-low light qualities and I'll probably only run the lights 8 hours a day if these are much brighter to avoid algae. Which would you recommend for my 21" deep bowfront? I'll have about 2 inches of eco-complete in there.

I have Build My LED fixtures AND they just began selling all the new planted tank ones....
Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC. They also sell a $15 dimmer attachment that is great. It allows you to use the light from 10% up to 100% so you can get this fixture, start with lower light plants using the dimmer to run lights lower, and anytime you want to change or increase lighting the fixture is capable of running at that light level. So you could start with dimmer light and use liquid carbon and work your way up as you get more comfortable running a planted tank. I have 4 of these fixtures.

And Zimmermann is right, CO2 is easy because if this old girl could do it anybody can!

I have Build My LED fixtures AND they just began selling all the new planted tank ones....
Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC. They also sell a $15 dimmer attachment that is great. It allows you to use the light from 10% up to 100% so you can get this fixture, start with lower light plants using the dimmer to run lights lower, and anytime you want to change or increase lighting the fixture is capable of running at that light level. So you could start with dimmer light and use liquid carbon and work your way up as you get more comfortable running a planted tank. I have 4 of these fixtures.

And Zimmermann is right, CO2 is easy because if this old girl could do it anybody can!

Thanks Rivercats! This Build My LED fixture looks awesome and I love the dimmer idea. This is perfect for me as you said, I can buy the high light leds in it and just run it dimmer until I'm ready to move up.

Have you had much of a chance to look into the various options? From reading I assume the Iwagumi 7000K would be the best one to go with or would the 10000k? Also, under configuring they do not have 46 bow front as an option, I assume choose 50 gallon just to be safe?

The 10000k states Recommended for: Aquariums with or without CO2 injection where richer greens, purples and reds (on plant material or fish) are desired.

The 7000k states Recommended for: Planted tank enthusiasts seeking high PAR levels and accurate color rendering in CO2 injected Iwagumi or “nature” style tanks.

Based on that I'm wondering if 10000k I may like more so my fish colors pop too.

Again, thanks for all the help and I think after your answers this time I'll be ready to buy one of these! (y)

Actually I prefer the lighting of the Dutch Planted 6300K. It makes both the fish and all colored plants, but especially the non green ones look beautiful. The highest I'd go is the Iwagumi 7000K. Don't go by what they write... lol! The real difference between say the 6300K and the 10000K is the brightness the human eye sees. I removed all 10K bulbs in my tanks as they make anything in the red color spectrum look very washed out. One of the two I suggested will be plenty bright and their lighting makes the colors of fish and plants pop. Just be sure when ordering to get the dimmer attachment and either the light hanging kit of the little feet.

As for using the light on your tank you would remove your current hood and using the feet attachment sit it on the two end rims. It's quite stable and the feet are made so you can rotate the light angle which is kind of cool. You want to order the fixture that is the proper length of your tank. They have changed a lot since I got my last one just a few weeks ago and if you have any questions give them a call as they are very helpful.

Actually I prefer the lighting of the Dutch Planted 6300K. It makes both the fish and all colored plants, but especially the non green ones look beautiful. The highest I'd go is the Iwagumi 7000K. Don't go by what they write... lol! The real difference between say the 6300K and the 10000K is the brightness the human eye sees. I removed all 10K bulbs in my tanks as they make anything in the red color spectrum look very washed out. One of the two I suggested will be plenty bright and their lighting makes the colors of fish and plants pop. Just be sure when ordering to get the dimmer attachment and either the light hanging kit of the little feet.

As for using the light on your tank you would remove your current hood and using the feet attachment sit it on the two end rims. It's quite stable and the feet are made so you can rotate the light angle which is kind of cool. You want to order the fixture that is the proper length of your tank. They have changed a lot since I got my last one just a few weeks ago and if you have any questions give them a call as they are very helpful.

Just placed my order. They are very nice and helpful. I went with the 6300 Dutch per your recommendation. I looked at the side by side photos I saw and I agree, looks much nicer. I'll reply here once I have it up and running and let you know what I think.

I like the richness of how the plant colors look under that lighting the reds look deep and rich red along with colors on fish especially reds and blues. Some people like the bright 10K lights but often have to add Rosette (pink) bulbs to balance the light spectrum out so reds and like colors don't look washed out. I love the dimmers and what I do is run them on the 10% in the mornings and evenings and depending on which tank they are on run them 75-100% for 4-6 hours for plant growth.

Do make sure you use liquid carbon daily and PM me if you need help figuring out the dose you need to use.

Back
Top Bottom