Help- too high CO2 levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dolores

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How could i reduce CO2 levels in my tank? Could the high levels come from fertilizers? I have now stopped using them, but my fish is lethargic and the ph has come down and CO2 has gone up (O2 level seems to be fine though). How could i fix this?

Can you supply more info. Are you using CO2? If so, how long are you running it. What lights do you have? What is the light schedule? What ferts are you using? More info makes it easier to help you.

I don't use CO2, lights are 2x30W and they are on ca 7h in the day, but i have turned them off in intervals because my lethargic fish became more active when the lights were off. I now stopped using the fertilizer, but it was bennerle s2 vitamix and v30 complete pluss, sometimes i used JBL ferropol. When changing water i use easylife filtermedium as a water conditioner. And the tank holds 180 liters (47.5 gallons)

I don't use CO2, lights are 2x30W and they are on ca 7h in the day, but i have turned them off in intervals because my lethargic fish became more active when the lights were off. I now stopped using the fertilizer, but it was bennerle s2 vitamix and v30 complete pluss, sometimes i used JBL ferropol. When changing water i use easylife filtermedium as a water conditioner. And the tank holds 180 liters (47.5 gallons)

Are you certain your CO2 levels are dangerously high? Sounds to me like your fish are sensitive to your light, which is not uncommon.

Your fish should be gasping at the surface if CO2 is too high. Add an air stone if your worries about gas exchange or alter your filter's return to break the surface a bit. Your fish also might be sensitive to your fertilizers.

If you are not using co2 how come your co2 gets so high? You using liquid carbon or something?

Are you certain your CO2 levels are dangerously high? Sounds to me like your fish are sensitive to your light, which is not uncommon.

Your fish should be gasping at the surface if CO2 is too high. Add an air stone if your worries about gas exchange or alter your filter's return to break the surface a bit. Your fish also might be sensitive to your fertilizers.
I calculated that my co2 level is 39 but the recommended level is 25? I'm sorry, i'm terribly confused about this. The ph level is 7 and kh is 13, so it would make the level 39, right? And it should be 25?
The only thing that i could think of that what could have caused this are the fertilizers

I calculated that my co2 level is 39 but the recommended level is 25? I'm sorry, i'm terribly confused about this. The ph level is 7 and kh is 13, so it would make the level 39, right? And it should be 25?
The only thing that i could think of that what could have caused this are the fertilizers

I'm sorry, I have never heard of specific values correlated to CO2 amounts such as those, only ppm CO2 during CO2 injection for plants. Those numbers do not mean much to me. There is no reason to think you're gassing your fish without a pressurized CO2 setup going bad. My guess its the fertilizers and/or bright light that is causing the stress to your fish.

Hi Dolores

Those charts don’t really apply to an aquarium. The chart is hypothetical in the sense that it assumes that the KH or (alkalinity) is made up from strictly carbonates and the only influence on the pH level is from carbon dioxide. This won’t happen in an aquarium because there are other acids present in the water and other influences on the alkalinity of the water other than carbonates.

For these reasons the chart will always over estimate true co2 levels.

That said co2 of 35ppm is unlikely to cause issues with livestock. There is some other reason for your poor fish health.

What are you adding exactly? Can you give us the full run down on your tank?

When do you test ? During the light cycle? In the beginning of lights or at the end?
Heavily planted tanks can fluctuate from the plants use and production of CO2 .

Hi Dolores

Those charts don’t really apply to an aquarium. The chart is hypothetical in the sense that it assumes that the KH or (alkalinity) is made up from strictly carbonates and the only influence on the pH level is from carbon dioxide. This won’t happen in an aquarium because there are other acids present in the water and other influences on the alkalinity of the water other than carbonates.

For these reasons the chart will always over estimate true co2 levels.

That said co2 of 35ppm is unlikely to cause issues with livestock. There is some other reason for your poor fish health.

What are you adding exactly? Can you give us the full run down on your tank?

This is real good info in the quote....

Your KH is pretty high so your water is hard.. Surprised your PH is at 7. Not sure about your fish species but some fish don't like hard water... Sopmething to think about

If fish are lethargic when lights are on and more active when lights are off then I would look into creating more caves and planted areas that the fish can use for shelter. Intense light with no place to find shelter could be the issue

Back
Top Bottom