Help, unsure what to plant in 5gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendude

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I jusy recently got into the hobby and bought a fluval 5 gal spec v and am unsure of which plants i should put in. I sadly alrewdy have bought driftwood but Im open to changing it around and replacing the small piece with some rocks, maybe a small dragonstone. Anyways im going to purchase a high-medium light and already have substrate. Any plant suggestions for a carpet and possibly the whole tank? Budget isnt really an issue even though plants arent that expensive. Thanks 20170726_225925.jpg1501135073190.jpg20170726_225943.jpg1501134894137.jpg

I like the driftwood and I would try to attach some Anubias to it. I usually use nylon zip ties for that. As for other plants, definitely look into Low Light plants for your setup. I'll provide a list for you here: Excellent List Of Plants For Low Light Tanks - General Aquarium Plants Discussions - Aquatic Plant Central

As for carpeting plants, there are not too many options for Low Light carpet, but you can try Staurogyne Repens or some Dwarf Sags.

Others may have Low light carpet suggestions...................

Thanks for the advice dude! Im gonna get a new light tho that should be goos for medium lights plants but i do like the look of some anubius. Thanks once again for that list tho!

Thanks for the advice dude! Im gonna get a new light tho that should be goos for medium lights plants but i do like the look of some anubius. Thanks once again for that list tho!

Don't go too bright with the lighting or you'll need to get a preasurised co2 system.

With co2 you can grow basically anything but good carpet plants with co2 are,
HC Cuba
Monte Carlo
Dwarf hairgrass

Smaller mid ground plants you could go with,
Crypt wendtii
Micro Java fern
Ar mini
Pogostemon helfari
Dwarf bylxa japonica

Any stems plants will work in the background like rotala sp or ludwigia

For plants on rocks u can go with all types of mosses, anubias nana petite, smaller buce varietys.

[emoji106]

With medium lighting, you'll most likely have to shade the Anubias. Anubias is very prone to algae in higher lighting conditions.

Don't go too bright with the lighting or you'll need to get a preasurised co2 system.

With co2 you can grow basically anything but good carpet plants with co2 are,
HC Cuba
Monte Carlo
Dwarf hairgrass

Smaller mid ground plants you could go with,
Crypt wendtii
Micro Java fern
Ar mini
Pogostemon helfari
Dwarf bylxa japonica

Any stems plants will work in the background like rotala sp or ludwigia

For plants on rocks u can go with all types of mosses, anubias nana petite, smaller buce varietys.

[emoji106]
Aye thanks man, Im savin up for a co2 system already but I wasnt aware of that, I thought it just helped em grow. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom