Help! Why is my water so cloudy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I use grade A leaves but from what I've seen grade B leaves are just "not perfect" leaves (broken leaves, pieces of leaves). I use a veggie clip and clip a few to the side of my tank since I have such a heavily planted tank and it takes a few weeks for them to breakdown. The thing is they break down but don't fall apart plus my BN Pleco, Oto's, and Whiptail cats often eat/rasp on them and the snails also enjoy them. Once they are getting rather skeltonized I just unclip them, remove all snails, and add new ones to the tank. They are too large to use in a filter. They say use 1 per 10 gallons BUT they can really release tannins when they are newly added so my suggestion is to add one, wait about 3-4 days and see how much color is in your water. If you want more add another leaf. I add up to about 10 leaves to my 220g if I want alot of tannins in the water. If not I only add 3 or 4.

Rivercats said:
Personally I use grade A leaves but from what I've seen grade B leaves are just "not perfect" leaves (broken leaves, pieces of leaves). I use a veggie clip and clip a few to the side of my tank since I have such a heavily planted tank and it takes a few weeks for them to breakdown. The thing is they break down but don't fall apart plus my BN Pleco, Oto's, and Whiptail cats often eat/rasp on them and the snails also enjoy them. Once they are getting rather skeltonized I just unclip them, remove all snails, and add new ones to the tank. They are too large to use in a filter. They say use 1 per 10 gallons BUT they can really release tannins when they are newly added so my suggestion is to add one, wait about 3-4 days and see how much color is in your water. If you want more add another leaf. I add up to about 10 leaves to my 220g if I want alot of tannins in the water. If not I only add 3 or 4.

Awesome :) thanks so much for your help!

Ohmygosh...your plants are so huge, like they beling in the amazon. I am soooo jealous. I just can't seem to get the plant thing down pact. Of course i have no advice for you, sorry...but your planta really ARE amazing. Hope you get the green algae resolved soon.

luvlife23 said:
Ohmygosh...your plants are so huge, like they beling in the amazon. I am soooo jealous. I just can't seem to get the plant thing down pact. Of course i have no advice for you, sorry...but your planta really ARE amazing. Hope you get the green algae resolved soon.

Thanks! :) I've been working hard on it... Haha. This is my first planted tank. They grew a ton during the algae bloom! I can't wait until it clears so I can see them all again... Haha. It has cleared a lot but is still a little cloudy and green. Ill post more pics once it has cleared :).

Water is clear now :). Did some rearranging and I thinned out the plants since they kinda grew out of control I'm gonna take pictures and post them after my water change today! I also got catappa leaves to aid in the blackwater effect. The UV sterilizer works great!! :)

Glad things finally have straightened out for you. Will be waiting to see pic's.

Here are some pics ;)

Attachments

• image-1977610027.jpg
    image-1977610027.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image-929876809.jpg
    image-929876809.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2548643999.jpg
    image-2548643999.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image-898610802.jpg