Help with 60 gallon tank change to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I I have a juwel now front 260 litre tank, ATM I have a sand base bottom with fake plant etc. it looks bare to me, my filter is with the tank and I air an air mixing attached to it. I'm looking to change to a part fake part plant tank and will change the base but this is where I need help! This is new to me and I want different places for different fish, maybe some can lay eggs and bring up fry etc. it's the look I most need help with as I want it natural with movement, bubble from the bottom etc, is it worth me keeping the air mix on the filter?

Picture of tank in its current state.

image-2587319196.jpg

First attempt on a planted tank, I've also added my once baby fry to the community

image-419656994.jpg

The base / substrate you are using is perfectly fine if it's sand. The biggest deciding factor on plants that you can have is the light over your tank. Most likely you have a low light level which will allow you to grow anubias, bolbitis, java moss, and java fern. None of those are particularly happy plants for fry to hide in but it wouldn't hurt to have them.

Other low light plants you could use would be crypts, jungle val, and water sprite (which is good for fry to hide in). If you use crypts you will need to use root tabs as they are heavy root feeders. Also do you use any type of ferts in your tank?

One thing I noticed in the picture is that your sand appears to be covered in green algae... is it just the picture or is it really algae covered? If it is how long do you run your lights daily?

No it's a new green gravel I brought which I have put over the sand, I'm trying to get a real natural look, here's a few more photos o what it looks like now.

image-2331527451.jpg

image-1631795217.jpg

image-2982967059.jpg

image-806154759.jpg

image-2985362533.jpg

image-2389998293.jpg

I also don't use any fertilisation, well haven't started yet as this planted tank is very new to me

Not to be funny, but if you were going for a natural look, why would you add green gravel? I've never seen a natural body of water with green gravel.

Looks natural to me as green substances grow in water ways so the green gravel is mimicking this

I can see where you're going with it. I've seen some rather heavily algae covered areas that resemble it.

The only thing I don't like about the green gravel is it makes the plants almost disappear due to them all being green. The white sand gave contrast and allowed the plants and décor to have a good contrast to set them off. Now IMO it all blends into a sea of green. But hey everyone has their own likes and if your happy with the tank that is what truly matters!

I think as the plants develop and I add to the tank it will form its own little world, I have a blue ran and will be getting a couple more, you never know they might breed in the conditions I'm trying to achieve, I just need to sell the 30+ swordtail fish I've got since they were fry

Back
Top Bottom