Help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinokath

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Need some help and advice on identifying and erradicating this algae. I read th guides but still can't figure out what this is and the best course of action. Have a look. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• Algae.jpg
    Algae.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 42
Definitely BBA (Black Brush Algae). Remove affected leaves and fix nutrient deficiencies. Often caused by fluctuated CO2 levels.

i got rid of the bba in my tanks by breaking up the photo period.... i run my lights 4 hours, then off 4 hours, then on 4 hours, then off until the next day. I had it bad too, and its all gone now. Btw, i dont use co2 or dose ferts appropriately, which is probably part of the reason i had it to begin with (as joy pointed out)

Alrighty. Here's my waters tests and what I did to correct it. Keep in mind I haven't dosed since this last Wednesday. This is a 55 gallon moderately planted tank:

Test Result
NO3 20 ppm
NH3 0 ppm
pH 6.8
Fe 0 ppm (this is the Red Sea test. I am not convinced it works...)
GH 12 Degrees
KH 5 Degrees
PO3 0 ppm
NO2 0.1 ppm

Dosing

Fert Amount

KH2PO4 1 gram
K2SO4 8 grams
MGSO4.7H2O 10 grams
Kent Iron 5 ml

That sound about right? I used The Fertilator to figure it out. Thoughts are always welcome.

Do you have a CO2 source? I had a constant battle with BBA when I was doing DIY CO2 with sugar and yeast. Once I switched to compressed CO2 I never saw it again. As an alternative, dosing Excel as a CO2 suppliment should help.

Fert schedule looks good except I doubt you need the magnesium sulfate (epsom salt btw) if you do frequent water changes. Your water seems hard enough that you probably have quite a bit of both calcium and magnesium.

Yep, I have injected CO2 and have for a year. My problem came about when I left town for a couple weeks and didn't have my tank managed per instructions coupled with a busy holiday season (I work for the Red Cross to boot so I have been extra preoccupied lately) and there you go. Nothing died, yet. My wisteria looked like total crap but I trimmed it all back to get rid of the BBA and it seems to be springing back.

I am dosing 3x Excel (and have spot treated rhizomes on annubias) and just got Sera test kits for NO3 and PO3 since the API kits I have are very hard to read. I think I may just get it under control yet!

Thanks for the advice!

Yep, I have injected CO2 and have for a year. My problem came about when I left town for a couple weeks and didn't have my tank managed per instructions coupled with a busy holiday season (I work for the Red Cross to boot so I have been extra preoccupied lately) and there you go. Nothing died, yet. My wisteria looked like total crap but I trimmed it all back to get rid of the BBA and it seems to be springing back.

I am dosing 3x Excel (and have spot treated rhizomes on annubias) and just got Sera test kits for NO3 and PO3 since the API kits I have are very hard to read. I think I may just get it under control yet!

Thanks for the advice!

I've found that Excel does wonders for BBA. Takes a couple days to get going but then it completely eradicates the tank of it and most other algae.

Back
Top Bottom