Help with Banana Plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I have a 5.5 gallon tank with a betta and a small pleco (I am moving the pleco to my 29 gallon as soon as it cycles, don't worry!). I have two bamboo plants and just a few weeks ago I got two banana plants because I was told they can live with really low lighting. I am wondering though, do I need to bury the roots? When I first put them in the tank I just let them float because I didn't really think about it. When I started reading about them online though, people said to bury them in the substrate (the thin white roots, not the banana looking parts). Since getting them their roots have grown really long, I'm assuming they're looking for somewhere to root down. They seem to be doing fine, one of them even sprouted a baby leaf, so I think they're healthy but does anyone have experience with these?

:thanks:

Hello, I have a 5.5 gallon tank with a betta and a small pleco (I am moving the pleco to my 29 gallon as soon as it cycles, don't worry!). I have two bamboo plants and just a few weeks ago I got two banana plants because I was told they can live with really low lighting. I am wondering though, do I need to bury the roots? When I first put them in the tank I just let them float because I didn't really think about it. When I started reading about them online though, people said to bury them in the substrate (the thin white roots, not the banana looking parts). Since getting them their roots have grown really long, I'm assuming they're looking for somewhere to root down. They seem to be doing fine, one of them even sprouted a baby leaf, so I think they're healthy but does anyone have experience with these? :thanks:

Any pics?

Ok, here are some pictures. Sorry that they are sideways I can't make them turn around! I have terrible lighting but I turned on a lamp near the tank to help.

Attachments

• 2013-11-06_21-15-07_678.jpg
    2013-11-06_21-15-07_678.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2013-11-06_21-17-55_249.jpg
    2013-11-06_21-17-55_249.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 94
From the pictures I have seen the roots are in the substrate but they do look healthy.

I rotated the pics so they are easier to see for other viewers.
:)

Attachments

• image-837044834.jpg
    image-837044834.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2251273483.jpg
    image-2251273483.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for rotating the pics :)

Yeah, as far as I can tel they seem to be healthy. I have had to prune off one or two leaves that turned yellow but other than that I've had no problems. Only downside to them not being totally rooted is if my pleco swims by them really quickly they will start floating around the tank and get blown around by the filter lol. That's a pretty easy fix though. Thanks for your help!

Yes plant the white roots in your sub. And the roots will anchor down quite well after that.

This is the only pic I have of mine. I have another tank with 4 plants in it and they are huge

1105131610.jpg

Lol no that's the only fake plant in my collection. And in that pic its pool filter sand. With a root tab... (under the banana not the fake)

From a small mom n pop lfs. They actualy went Oob 2 months ago... its ashame all these large chain stores putting every one under.

Back
Top Bottom