Help with CO2 systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone!

For my new 40g breeder I plan on setting up a heavily planted dirt tank. Co2 seems to play a big part in this so I'm trying to find out how to set up one myself.

Two options:

DIY co2 system: I found this kit on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008C...co2+system&dpPl=1&dpID=511Ek4woPxL&ref=plSrch

It comes with "Caps, needle valve, 3-way connector, check valve, tubing, pressure gage". How would I turn on/off the system at certain times though to avoid co2 poisoning, and how do I know how many bubbles per second its producing?

Also, how many bottles of yeast//how much should I use? And what diffuser should I get?

Pressurized co2: is this a better option overall than DIY? Is this controllable? How do they work? Which do you suggest for a 40g breeder tank?

Thank you all so much in advance!

Pressurized is the way to go. On a 40 breeder it'd be hard to produce enough DIY co2 to maintain consistent levels. With pressurized systems once you have the level you want in your tank you don't have to really do anything else in terms of adjustment. My 5lb co2 tank lasts 6 months plus on my 30g. It turns on with a timer and is practically maintenance free. So if you can go pressurized you won't regret it. The initial expense is greater but after that getting your tank filled up is about 20 bucks.

With DIY you typically don't shut it off at night. I used DIY CO2 for a year and it worked well for me in a 20g long. I upgraded the lighting and ferts and switched to pressurized CO2 to keep up the the carbon demands. DIY usually does not produce enough CO2 to cause issues at night.
As for the size of your tank, the effectiveness of DIY CO2 appears to top out around 20g, maybe 29g, this might be a problem with a 40 breeder.
More CO2 info here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137982

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That Amazon link you posted is for Citric Acid and Baking soda CO2, not yeast Co2. Do not do it, I had that on a 40B and quickly swapped it out for pressurized.. It will run out of Acid in 4 days, and you will have to refill it. IMO not worth it vs buying a mini paintball setup from Aquatek (~$110 for tank and Regulator)

Not following why you say co2 plays a big part in a dirt tank? The dirt enthusiasts I'm aware of don't use co2.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Not following why you say co2 plays a big part in a dirt tank? The dirt enthusiasts I'm aware of don't use co2.

I'm not sure using dirt means strictly no co2. Only if stated or using the Walstad method. Dirt can be and often is used in all systems.

I'm not sure using dirt means strictly no co2. Only if stated or using the Walstad method. Dirt can be and often is used in all systems.

Right. It sounded to me like the OP assumed dirt means "use CO2" so I was asking. Is the interest in co2 independent or is there an assumption it's mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom