Help with Dwarf Hairgrass!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pokechoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased some Hairgrass and I'm having quite a time trying to grow it. I've almost lost all of it. There is just a few clumps left, I put it on some drift wood, in hopes of it will help. I'm lost. All other plants I have a just beautiful, but the grass....

what's your lighting? Are u dosing any ferts? What is your substrate? I tried DHG one time and my fish ate it all! Maybe it's that?

DHG needs at least moderate light, preferably high light with co2 and good ferts. What conditions are you trying to grow it in? It will definitely not grow on driftwood.

It has the pink light bulb, Flourish substrate with a gravel top layer and I just have a betta in there. I use Flourish liquid fertilizer. It's in about 6.5 pH. I just don't understand, does it need better lighting? It's only in a 5 gallon tank

Try to change the pink bulb to a full spectrum one that's preferably 6500k in color temperature. Then start dosing flourish excel along with that flourish comprehensive you're using. If you can rig up a DIY co2 generator that would be good too. There's plenty of info via Google and YouTube on how to construct one and the recipe for the yeast/sugar

What kind of bulbs is it though? Color doesn't matter as much as bulb type, eg, T5HO, T8, etc. Replacing a T8 red bulb with a T8 full spectrum won't help as much as upgrading to a T5HO.

But yea, as the others have said, CO2 and light are by far the most common reasons behind total failure to grow, especially with a resource intense plant like DHG.

Back
Top Bottom