Help with extreme black beard algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ijaco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been having a really bad problem with black beard algae. I've had it for about a month now, and it's just gotten worse and worse. It is attached to pretty much all of my swords and ferns, along with the decorations in the tank, and is an inch long in some parts. There is also a lot of short fuzzy green algae, mostly on the glass and some leaves, but that doesn't bother me too much.

It's a 60 gallon tank, 48" long, 12" deep, and 24" high. It has no co2. It is medium planted. I fertilize with root tabs and flourish, but have been cutting back on the flourish because I thought it would help with the algae. I used to do one cap every week after waterchanges, but cut back to only half a cap per week. It suggests one cap per 60 gallons.

For lighting I have a finnex planted+ and the stock lights that came with the hood. In an effort to reduce the algae, I have taken off the stock lights and only kept the planted+ on about 6 hours a day.

None of this has seemed to help! Any ideas what could be causing the problem and how I can get rid of it? I don't think I'm overfeeding, and I've been feeding 5 times a week to try to cut back. The parameters are mostly normal, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 30 (I know it's a little high, I did a water change right after). I have an air pump, but haven't been running it in an effort to reduce the algae. Also, I have been doing 50% water changes every 5 days to try to help.

Thanks!! :thanks:

Attachments

• 20150223_221655.jpg
    20150223_221655.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20150223_221718.jpg
    20150223_221718.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150223_221730.jpg
    20150223_221730.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 105
You need to offer your plants a carbon source so that they will put on increased growth and out compete the algae

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Metricide 14.. does this tank get direct sunlight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

An algae eater would help. SAES are best for long term. If you want a temporary fish just get 1 Chinese algae eater and return it.(they Become large and aggressive) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424924695.878359.jpgsame with garr. True flying foxes are harder to find, and are less agressive. Get pretty large but don't fight other fish.

-find me on Instagram: Aqua_cedrus

Btw don't trust the store labeling of SAE's. They will say they are, but use this to find the true fish.

-find me on Instagram: Aqua_cedrus

I had BBA and then I got a rainbow shark within a week all the BBA was gone.

No not really any direct sunlight. Is metricide 14 like excel?

It's like double the strength of Excel, but much easier on the wallet. I think they go for around $20/gallon. Look it up on Amazon or EBay. It's primary use is sterilizing medical equipment, but it can be used as a carbon source in planted aquariums.

Only get an algae eating fish if you actually want that type of fish. Just because some people have success with a certain fish doesn't guarantee that you will have the same experience. If it decides it likes the taste of your fish food better than the BBA, then you're stuck with a "lazy" fish that maybe you didn't really want in the first place. IMO, it's better to prevent the algae in the first place.

I'd suggest reading up on the balance between light, carbon and nutrients needed for a healthy planted tank.
The research is the easy part though. Actually getting to and then maintaining that balance is the hard (and arguably, fun) part.

If you do dose a lot of excel or something similar for a few days if you have any Val's, anacharis, or sag plants you might want to take them out. Some people have issues with that making them melt just an FYI

Okay thanks, I think I'll get some metricide 14. Is there info anywhere on how much to dose for aquariums? About how long would a gallon last for a 60 gal aquarium? I agree about the algae eater, I don't really like how they look so probably won't get one. I have corkscrew vals, java ferns, crypts, and amazon swords. I know I should take the vals & ferns out, but will the crypts and swords be okay?

Is this the right stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Metrex-Metric...UTF8&qid=1425863027&sr=1-2&keywords=metricide

Yeah! Those ones should be ok. I have swords and crypts and dose excel on a regular basis :)

I also have crypts and swords and have suffered no ill effects from dosing this stuff.
That IS the correct stuff. It'll come with a packet of stuff with instructions to add it to the main bottle. Do NOT do this. For your purposes you want to just throw out the packet. You should keep the container in a dark place when not in use. I transferred a portion into a smaller, opaque bottle to make it easier to handle.

Its twice as concentrated as Excel, so you only have to dose half as much.
Normal dosing would be .5 ml/10 gallons daily. You can make adjustments as needed. I actually dose 1ml/10 gallons and have no problems.

I'll let you do the math on how long it will last. Ive been dosing around 4ml per day for a little over 7 months and I haven't even used 1/6th of the gallon container.

Use Metricide 14 (Glutaraldehyde) as a long term carbon source.
You can spot treat the BBA with hydrogen peroxide to kill it.
1. Shut off filters and air pumps
2. Spot treat the BBA using a plastic syringe at the rate of no more than 3 mL per gallon
3. Restart filters and pumps 15-20 minutes later
4. If needed, repeat steps 1-3 next day. A third treatment can be used.
The BBA will start changing colors: red, pink, gray, then white as it begins to die.

Use Metricide 14 (Glutaraldehyde) as a long term carbon source.
You can spot treat the BBA with hydrogen peroxide to kill it.
1. Shut off filters and air pumps
2. Spot treat the BBA using a plastic syringe at the rate of no more than 3 mL per gallon
3. Restart filters and pumps 15-20 minutes later
4. If needed, repeat steps 1-3 next day. A third treatment can be used.
The BBA will start changing colors: red, pink, gray, then white as it begins to die.

I tried this and I have no idea if I was doing it right but basically pointing and spraying at the BBA and it didn't work for me. Was I not using enough maybe?

Not tryig to hijack thread lol just have same problem with BBA

Meese

I tried this and I have no idea if I was doing it right but basically pointing and spraying at the BBA and it didn't work for me. Was I not using enough maybe?

Not tryig to hijack thread lol just have same problem with BBA

Meese

You want to make sure that the H2O2 is applied VERY slowly (think "icing a cake" in slow motion) to the affected areas. A plastic syringe should give you precise control. Peroxide tends to be heavier and will sink. If treating out of the water (anbius, driftwood), you can spray it on and let it sit. Be certain that there is no current in the tank. I've was recommended to use no more than 3 mL/gallon. For a 20g tank thank would be 60 mL. Seems a bit much IMO. I usually needed only about 20-30 mL tops.

I'm back in this boat again. Tried H2O2, but with no results. It wiped my plants out last time.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

Sometimes it isn't worth fighting. I got some on one of my anubias nana plants and even then only a couple leaves. Instead of an all out battle I kinda said screw it and just chopped off the really bad leaves

Right now, that would mean a complete moonscape. It's everywhere.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom