Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101 View Post
I have one on my tank (the older version) and I think I would have been better doing a retrofit with the ah supply lights. I didn't know this when I bought it, but bulb spacing, especially with cf's reduce the light output by maybe 30-40% (major guesstimate inside my head) due to restrike of the bulbs. I have 130 watts over my 29 gallon, and soon I will replace it with an led fixture (if I eventually finally finish the fixture for my 10 gallon). I thought I was getting more light, but one bulb with a good reflector will be much better than two bulbs with inadequate reflectors and really cramped bulbs. If you do decide to go the odyssea route, definitely go the t5ho route. I think 4 bulb fixtures (I think 96 or so watts for 24" and 130 or something for 30") go for $60-90

Also, most 20L and 29 gallon tanks use 24" fixtures and 21" bulbs, although I'm not sure if there are any cons to having a 30 incher besides more light spilling out the sides.
Thanks for your comments Danny. Aquatraders doesn't make a 30" T5HO. Only 24 and 36. Would there be another brand you would recommend that is reasonably priced?

This unit is reasonably priced but I am afraid it is not enough light for my tank...

Current USA 30" Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture 2x24W 10K/Freshwater

This one is a bit more but under $200...

Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

Thanks!
Pat

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #12

And let me ask about one more. Not the most expensive but certainly more and on the high end of what I would want to spend.

Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

Thanks!
Pat

Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #13

OK, let me ask my light question a different way. Would 48w of T5HO light be considered lowlight or higher for my 36G bowfront? (It is about 21" high.)

Then same question for double that (96w).

And one more question - These fixtures have 24" bulbs and my tank is 30" long - any reason to be concerned about that? Will plants not grow as well in the corners? (I am planning to fully plant both corners.)

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

38w would be low-mid light. 96w would be just on the brink of high-light territory.

I think you should be fine, as light expands and 3" on either side isn't too much.

taylorodw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow front, filter, light, lighting, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com