Help with Golden Nesaea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have what I think to be Golden nesaea that isn't what you would say, thriving in my tank. I'm not even sure if its surviving.

Two of the stems had rotten bottoms which I have trimmed and replanted, I think there is a small amount of new growth on them, but very little.

Does anyone have any success with these plants, or just general experience with these plants?

I actually have it and it is my most trying plant. It grows slow for starters which means algae can be an issue if in too high light. I've moved mine to areas in the tank that don't have direct metal halide light but still gets light and it seems to do better. If the stems are rotting what are you dosing for ferts? Also are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? Here's a pic with one of my groupings of it, it's pretty much front and center. Sorry for the glare but the metal halides were on when it was taken... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: RIVERCATS 220G Transformation - Picture

Sorry, I guess I didn't really give many details. This is in my 10 gallon with DIY CO2, and I have dry ferts in the mail so none at this present moment except a small micro chelate liquid supplement.

It's near the front corner of the tank, not exactly in a very shaded spot. The tank is only pushing two 10 watt CF's so possibly not enough light coming onto these stems?

I did read that it's not the easiest plant to keep.

Just wait and see how they grow. When I said they grow slow I mean they grow slooooow. One other thing to do is try them in a couple different spots in the tank in differently lit areas if possible. I have three different groupings in three areas. Just be patient, in fact these guys have made me learn to have a new kind of patience. If I didn't like them so much I'd have scraped them months ago!

I have had luck growing it in it's own tank. Kind of a plant nursery tank, then once it has a root structure transplanting it to the tank you want it in... I have loaches though, so that is the only way it would have a chance.

I only have four stems total, so I don't have the ability to try different spots. Do you know if these are more root feeders or column feeders primarily?

I also have it in my tank and second the sloooow growth. Mine seems to have finally established and perked up a bit. Here is a pic soon after I added it to the tank.

image-3416721083.jpg

Stem plants rotting at the bottom is very commonly a light issue, especially if it's happening repeatedly.

I'd lean toward light also, had the same issue in a few spots with my nesaea bunches. They were bunched together pretty tightly so some of the stems towards the center weren't getting much light at all and they gave up the ghost rather quickly.

Another alternative if you want to really make the plant take off? Raise it up high enough to reach the surface.

Didn't realize stem rot could've been helped along by lack of light, figured it would be more of a nutrient thing, interesting. Well I placed some in more direct light nearer the center, so perhaps that will help.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Didn't realize stem rot could've been helped along by lack of light, figured it would be more of a nutrient thing, interesting. Well I placed some in more direct light nearer the center, so perhaps that will help

It often happens when stems are planted too closely together that light and water flow can't penetrate to the lower stems. When I plant stem plants I plant each stem individually with leaves almost but not quite touching the stem leaves around it.

Maybe I'll widen out the stems today. Thanks for yhe advice.

Back
Top Bottom