Help with high ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I did a 2 high ph tests with my API master kit and the color was pinkish/red. It does not match any of the colors on the high ph chart. Does this mean it is off the chart--higher than 8.8??

The ph from my tap is 7.8. I recently started dosing once a week flourish excel and I added some new plants.

My tank is half open top with lots of aeration (2 air stones and canister spray bar). Since I don't inject co2 the aeration should benefit the tank. Especially since I have goldfish in there.

Can you please help me understand why my PH has gone up?

Also would this be too stressful for the fish when I do weekly 70% pwc since the PH level from my tap is different?

Do you have any big rocks in the tank? What's your substrate?

I personally don't think that PWC can possibly hurt fish, as long as the temp is within 2-3 degrees or so.

Yes I have rocks in my tank but they have been there for a few months and the PH was readable before.

I guess the color is kinda close to 8.1? If I don't put the bottle flat against the reference sheet. If it is flat on the reference sheet than it is a bit reddish/pink.

Do you know what is the PH reading?

I've left it sitting for 30 mind and it is the same color. I wonder if the open top and heavy aeration combined with flourish excel would cause this to happen?

Heavy aeration could be a factor but not the exell. Test your KH and GH. That will let you know a lot more about what might be going on in your water that could affect PH. 8.2 from the tap is very normal where I live and is common across the US. What you need to know is the hardness of the water, both KH and GH, in your tank and your tap. If their is a difference between the two finding out what caused it is the next step. Even if the PH in an area was low for years it can go up if the municipality changes the way they treat the city water. The only way to know is with a test kit. API makes a combo kit that you can get anywhere for less than 10 dollars. One kit lasts most people 2 years or more.

Can someone ID these rocks and tell me if they could be raising my PH levels?

Attachments

• image-3891790852.jpg
    image-3891790852.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3746243416.jpg
    image-3746243416.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 37
  • image-3497361497.jpg
    image-3497361497.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom