Help with lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pirateshake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting my planted tank. Would
Coralife Aqualite Dual - 48"
be good lights for my 55 gallon tank? Can i use it with freshwater? If so what lights should i use? Someone in my area is selling one for 70 dollars no lights so id like to know asap : ) thanks

I hope I'm right here...but reading threads on here I have heard that actinic is usually for saltwater....someone please correct me if I am wrong. I just bought one of these fixtures for my 29g tank....this is the size you would need for your 55g:
Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-48=
You get the fixture and the lights for $48.
BTW - I am VERY happy with mine!

I think but i could be wrong that actinic is a type of light bulb right? So if i went with different light bulbs with this fixture would it be okay? and which bulbs would i need?

Yes...actinic is a TYPE of bulb, but I thought it was mainly used in saltwater tanks...that is why I was asking for more input from more knowledgeable members. I have just been through this whole light bulb/light fixture problem with my new 29g tank and was told I needed a whole new fixture instead of just a bulb...so I am not sure. The link you provided showed a whole new fixture. Is that the fixture you can get for $70...if so, I would think it would be a great deal as theirs is listed for like $250. I'm just not sure what to tell you on what light bulbs you would need for it....sorry. I'm pretty new to this...just trying to help a little.

I sure hope it will work and yes thats why im asking before i buy : ) well at least we are both learning, for that i am thankful your responding to my thread at least i know im not alone. I really like the idea of being able to control both sets of lights i Then i might be able to do moon lights or something. Common someone that knows help me

I sure hope it will work and yes thats why im asking before i buy : ) well at least we are both learning, for that i am thankful your responding to my thread at least i know im not alone. I really like the idea of being able to control both sets of lights i Then i might be able to do moon lights or something. Common someone that knows help me

LOL...it's still pretty early (or late depending on where you live)....there will be members on in a while that can help more. I still think buying the fixture for $70 is a great deal...and I am sure members on here can help you with what type of bulbs to buy for it.

That fixture would be overkill in a 55 gallon tank. If you put 6400-10000k bulbs in it, you could use it fine. Look around a bit more Corallife makes FW fixtures so you dont have to buy extra bulbs. 180 - 200 watts is the most I would put on your tank.

That fixture is a steal at $70. Depending on how it is setup, you may be able to run it with only 2 bulbs for a total of 130 watts. If you ran a couple of daylight bulbs and a couple of 50/50 (half actinic - which is believed to be of little to no use to the plants) you would have approximately 195 watts.

As I'm sure you're already aware, you'll need to have your CO2 and Fertilization ready to go as you turn on the lights to avoid algae issues (especially if running all four bulbs).

~190 watts on a 55 is very high light.....I've been there, with 2 96 watt CFs. It was fun once I got the ferts figured out, but things happen REALLY fast (good or bad) and you're going to do a lot of pruning, I was removing multiple Ziploc bags every two weeks or so. The upside is you can grow pretty much any plant you want. I had some gorgeous Rotala macrandra that was bright pink and grew like mad.

After a year and a half of the insanity I switched both bulbs out for 50:50s. I would say my tank is just above medium light now. Things are much more manageable, CO2 is nice but not necessary, and I can still grow almost anything except really demanding high light plants and carpet plants. I've got some Limnophila aromatica that is doing really well under that lighting. With a 4x65 watt fixture I'd be temped to start with 2 actinic and 2 10000K (or 6500K) bulbs and go from there.

and them bulbs are not cheap to buy also for that fixture two bulbs will cost more then fixture prob. but i think it has two power cords to control front and back lights which is good. thats a great price i want it too lol i would put 6700k at back and 10000k at front with it.but agree is overkill for a 55 with all bulbs going you will need a lawn mower to trim

Back
Top Bottom