Help with lighting for a 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aqua_chem said:
I would be flabbergasted if you don't have CFL hoods available. They are cheaper than T8 hoods usually, both to make and to buy, and they predate T8 so there's usually some available second hand.

Well, Aqua chem, prepare to be shocked and amazed! I spent my time at work tonight looking for CFL hoods on the Aussie net instead of working. Found quite a few seriously overkill hydro lights on quite a few serious stoner sites, but no aquarium CFL hoods. I even tried to find incandescent bulb hoods, thinking I could slip CFLs in one: no dice :(
And it gets even worse.
I had a moment's fear about HC, so I looked for Dwarf Sag.
One of the other Sagittarias was banned in Australia, so now we can't have Dwarf Sag either. :-/

This is shocking to hear! In The States it's so common to get a 10-29 gallon tank with a 2 bulb incandecent light fixture already on the tank. People used to throw them right in the bin and get fluorescent fixtures first thing until we realized that CFLs worked so well in them. I guess PenPlax and similar suppliers aren't a presence on the island. Those fixtures were known to cause heat with em right on the glass and all. Marbe that's why they never got much of the market there.

Sushisnake said:
+1 Mumma. I was so pleased I finally understood what you were telling me about CFLs I forgot to ask what plants you are growing in the photo? They look like they are about to jump out of there and go for a walk, they're so lush!

Dracena, Peace Lilly and syngonium of some sort. It's a riparium. I have a thread about it somewhere.

You can't find those hoods because, even though they did once exist here, they don't sell incandescent bulbs in Australia any more.

Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
Dracena, Peace Lilly and syngonium of some sort. It's a riparium. I have a thread about it somewhere.

You can find those hoods because, even though they did once exist here, they don't sell incandescent bulbs in Australia any more.

Of course! I'd forgotten about incandescent bulbs disappearing from our shops.

My Lfs has gone to a new supplier and is getting lots of new stuff .
Including the same 4 point PU fluoro tubes the hydro hood uses.
They have Aqua One tubes in 24 and 36w - tropical. No idea of the kelvin and I forgot to check the PAR.
The hood sits on top of the tank but I can raise it.
I'd like enough light to grow some red plants- like Ludwigia Repens- and HC.
Which would be the best one to try and should I raise the hood?
These are photos of the hood. They're bad photos because I'm a bad photographer. Sorry!

image-3103916520.jpg

image-1327948607.jpg

image-2297148622.jpg

image-4058716916.jpg

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• image-1829892402.jpg
    image-1829892402.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom