Help with my Java Fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trackfast

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a brown "fern" growing on my java fern. Algae? Something else?

Attachments

• PlantFungus.jpg
    PlantFungus.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 167
No, that's normal, those are the roots for new plants, the little dots under the leafs eventually why grow leaves and roots, and one day they'll detach from the main plant and you can attach it somewhere else. I started with 2 plants a year ago, now I have a 20 gallon tank full of them! I love them!

Learned something new! I just bought some java ferns a couple of weeks ago and had no idea they grew like that!

It's a sign of a happy fern. The tips of the leaves change color and start growing roots. Let the babies grow a bit, then you can just pop them off and attach them somewhere else.

It's a sign of a happy fern. The tips of the leaves change color and start growing roots. Let the babies grow a bit, then you can just pop them off and attach them somewhere else.

How do you know when to pop them off? I found a bunch of roots sprouting on one of my ferns yesterday. The new growths are not as large as the ones pictured in this thread, but one of them has two tiny baby leaves already.

You can take it off at any point when it is large enough to attach elsewhere. If you leave it, it will either fall off itself or just continue growing.

I usually grab the leaf of the mother between thumb and index finger and try to pop the baby off with my thumb with a motion like flipping a coin. If it takes some effort, I'll leave the baby for a while. It's hard to plant them when they're really small anyways. Sometimes I'll let the detached babies float around the tank for a while to let them grow a bit.

Back
Top Bottom